cutting question # 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
How do you all seem to get your rounds precisely the same size? I see photos on here and guys seem to cut the rounds exactly the same. Do you measure it out or mark before you cut? All my stuff varies - usually because I cut to avoid knots and such. They all run 12 to 16 inches. Onces split and stacked - my stuff just doesn't look a polished. I guess it doesn't matter how it looks - but how it burns.

Do you all use those length markers off the saw?

Three methods. Measure with the bar, use a sawbuck, and measure with a stick.

They aren't the same size. They are close based on the above methods. There's also a pile of shorts that are good for the shoulder seasons.

Matt

all my rounds are exactly 16.25 inches long. LOL I wish. I mark a spot on my bar and use that as a measure stick. then with the tip I nick a spot where to cut.

Some I measure with a stick and some I just eyeball. Most of the time I can eyeball pretty darned close. I too cut to try to avoid cutting through knots.

Backwoods Savage said:
Some I measure with a stick and some I just eyeball. Most of the time I can eyeball pretty darned close. I too cut to try to avoid cutting through knots.

So you eyeball and tell the wife where to cut? :)

Ya, but she doesn't like to listen to me. lol

I like the nail, string, and marking crayon, (yellow or white) approach. I can mark two or three cuts and put it in a pocket. That way I only have 4-6 places to look. If I do lay it down at least the color stands out, unlike the stick. I use to use the bar, but then I started loosing them and that really slowed me down.

LetItBurn said:
I use to use the bar, but then I started loosing them and that really slowed me down.
LOL Ja, I could see where that'd slow you down. I never put a nail in my pocket because invariably when I stick my hand in to retrieve it, the pointy end of it ends up jabbed under my fingernail. I think that's why they call them nails.

After cutting 2 truck loads today, I realize it doesn't matter. I just eyeball it. I'm satisfied with that. Starting to feel like my time is worth more than this. It's so much work and I'd rather spend $ 170 on a cord and have some guy dump it for me - while I'm out on the boat fishing. Never been so sore. I bet those who split at the cut site dont' work as hard. Lifting bigger rounds will wear you out.

get yourself a whip...
practice makes the difference, cut for a few years and your blocks will measure in within a 1/4-1/2 " in no time. There's no sense cutting 12" wood.

I always start out measuring with my chainsaw bar, but that goes away pretty fast and I just eyeball it. I end up with anything from 14"-20" and it all burns fine.

I use my chainsaw to measure off my rounds. Just measure a spot from bar tip to saw housing and mark it. I'm cutting my rounds 20 inches for my Oslo, 16 in. bar.

I to use the bar measuring method. It's quick, swing the saw sideways and dig the tip in where the cut needs to be. When I'm down to a piece 40 inches long I use a tape measure to find the center.

I also use the saw/bar method. There is a spot on the saw where there to tip is 20", and I dont really spend extra time making sure its perfect, but they all come out roughly the same.

I have a handy dandy bucking measuring thingy that attaches to my saw that I bought at the saw shop. Works the nutz extends to 20" but I set the tab for 16...I dont like using a stick cause I like to ahve both hands on the saw at all times and not holding a stick at the same time!

I cut where the tree makes me those crochs can be nasty so there is always some that are off a little but its firewood and not going to the mill.

Eyeball. No sense in making a big project out of it in my opinion. Stove will hold 22" splits, I aim for about 20" and only at the very end do I ever wind up with anything outside of 18" or so. The smaller chunks I save up for quick heat or for the wife to pick and choose from in the dead of winter as she does not like loading the longer splits.

Eyeball method . . . cutting up wood doesn't really need to be an exact science . . . as long as they fit into the stove they're all good no matter the size . . . although most are pretty darn close in size . . but then again my wood looks pretty ugly . . . not all nice and straight like some folk's pics -- they're crooked, bent, split up all knarly looking . . . but as long as my ugly wood burns I'm happy.

I get my wood in all sorts of lengths, which means i have to be flexible when I cut it to stove length. If i find a forty inch piece, I don't cut it into two sixteens and an eight, i try to cut it into three piece of about equal length. This results in three pieces too short for the stove i haven't yet purchased. Now that I think about it, maybe I need to start measuring.

Wood Duck, Any size that fits in the stove will work. The small 6 inch pieces go in sideways. More wood surface area from small pieces and alternately stacked is what you need to have when you have to light a cold stove. At the beginning and end of the season when we starting new fires 2 or 3 times a day, we don't have enough of the small size pieces.

That said, when I'm buckin 2 ft diameter oak I don't like to not make one more cut than I have to. So I try to cut ever piece 20 -22 inches. That 40 inch round needs to be cut very close to the center. My stove can fit a 25 inch log. There have been a few 26 that didn't make it.

I have a short piece of 1" angle welded perpendicular to a 16" piece of 1/2" plate stock. After I take a cut I put the piece of angle against the freshly cut side of the tree and cut at the end of the flat stock. Quick and painless until you hit a huge knot.

Status
Not open for further replies.