cutting rack come in handy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustybumpers

Apr 6, 2009
Shoreline, WA
There are dozens of significant evergreen trees on my small suburban property (and my neighbors) with large limbs (2" to 5" diameter) that like to fall off during storms. I found it tedious to try to cut them up one at a time on the ground or propped up on something without hitting dirt/rocks and dulling the chainsaw.
So I got the idea of a limb cutting rack off this very site. I used it more than I thought I ever would. Especially this year when I helped buck up and clear my neighbors downed trees (from this post). I just collect limbs until I have a full rack and then cut them down to firewood size logs all at once. I also can fill it up with too long of splits and trim them in bunches.

Just thought I'd share some photos of my rack in case any of you wanted to build your own.

Attachments

• IMG_2578.JPG
    IMG_2578.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_2579.JPG
    IMG_2579.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 201
That is an awesome idea and a huge $$ and time saver. I have dulled many chains and wasted a lot of time with moving the small stuff to cut it.

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Rusty, for sure that will save much time and work. Nice job.

I have a different style of rack but I use mine all the time too. When I come across a limb I carry it to the rack and when I have enough I fire up the chainsaw. Sitting on the rack allows most of the dirt to fall off the wood before I cut.

I made something similar but after using mine I would have made one more like yours. I may take it apart and retool it tomorrow since I have quite a few rounds that need trimming.

What a great Idea I may need to build one of those. Currently I use my 12" compund miter saw to cut up the limbs. I load the back of the truck up with them and put the saw on the tailgate and cut away. That can only handle limbs up to 4" or so.

Reactions: Thistle
What a great Idea I may need to build one of those. Currently I use my 12" compund miter saw to cut up the limbs. I load the back of the truck up with them and put the saw on the tailgate and cut away. That can only handle limbs up to 4" or so.

That cutting crib is a great idea for in between sized logs though.Gonna build one soon.That's what I do also with limbs/branches from 1" to 5".20+yr old cast iron Delta miter saw (not compound or sliding model).Much faster than any chainsaw because of the 40 tooth carbide tipped blade w/1/8" kerf.

Have used something like that holder crib, but it isn't as big or solid like that one. It worries me when the sticks flop around while cutting, so I cinch them down with stout rubber bungie cords, then cut. Nice rig you made.

You might have got the idea from me, I have been posting how handy this type of saw buck can be for a few years. Glad others are seeing the benefit.

Attachments

• sawbuck3[1].jpg
    sawbuck3[1].jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 155
Status
Not open for further replies.