Cutting sheet metal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
I need to cut a pc of black stove pipe to go around my exposed liner - just to hide it, and I also need the mantel shield cut down to size. What's the best way to cut sheet metal? Shears aren't gonna do it, that's what my friend cut the liner with and it leaves way too rough a line and etc. I would like it to be somewhat finished off and not look horrid.
I have been trying to find a sheet metal shop but the closest I have found is actually a welding place and they aren't really open when I am not at work.

If I had a dremel tool (which I have been tempted to buy anyway) would that do a decent job?

Not sure of your exact situation; but sounds like a job a hack saw could handle. There cheap--buy a few new blades.
If it were me, I'd mark it accuately and start cutting at 4 different places--12 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 3 & 9 o'clock. This should keep the blade from getting hung up half way through.
I have a Dremmel but would use the hack saw anyway--much faster & straiter.
I've used the Dremmel to cut things and it takes forever.

I cut a lot of sheetmetal in my younger days and it is an acquired skill to cut cleanly. However, when the gauge of metal is heavy, I would use a sheet metal sheer to do the cut. For a clean cut have the sheetmetal shop do it or a pro with sharp shears. They can also hem the metal edge (fold over) using a brake.

Begreen is right on the money,you may find a heating and cooling contractor that can help . they have the tools to get it done

Thanks - I have both a homesaver shield and a nice galvanized one the stove shop gave me that already has the perfect angle in it to do the job. But it's sized to slide behind the surround and since I don't want to use the surround I want to put it inside the top of the fireplace opening. It's cut with nice curved corners and I would like to mirror that - but from what you guys are saying it does sound like something I want to call around for to find someone to do it right.

Its very possible with shears.. that's what I use but as everyone said it is an "acquire skill" better off finding a contractor :)

You should be able to score the metal with a good utility knife and then bend it back and forth a few times to break it. Alternately, you can mount an old carbide blade backwards in a table saw just high enough to clear the top of the table, put carboard between the table and the sheet metal and some scrap wood on top and let her rip. Third option, lay the metal on some scrap wood, lay some more scrap wood on top of the metal as a straightedge guide, and hit the metal with an angle grinder.

I tape the line I want to cut with painters tape and then take my angle grinder to it. Whatever you use, do not use a sawzall.

Matt

With the proper sheet metal snips, it should make a clean cut. The come in right, left and straight cut models, depending on the cut you need to make. Use the correct model and curl the scrap side up cleanly and you should have a super smooth cut.

tickbitty said:
I need to cut a pc of black stove pipe to go around my exposed liner - just to hide it, and I also need the mantel shield cut down to size. What's the best way to cut sheet metal? Shears aren't gonna do it, that's what my friend cut the liner with and it leaves way too rough a line and etc. I would like it to be somewhat finished off and not look horrid.
I have been trying to find a sheet metal shop but the closest I have found is actually a welding place and they aren't really open when I am not at work.

If I had a dremel tool (which I have been tempted to buy anyway) would that do a decent job?

Call an HVAC Co. They deal with sheet metal guys every day. Some HVAC supply houses do some metal work also.
My brother is an HVAC contractor, nice to have an in. :coolsmile:

LLigetfa said:
You should be able to score the metal with a good utility knife and then bend it back and forth a few times to break it. Alternately, you can mount an old carbide blade backwards in a table saw just high enough to clear the top of the table, put carboard between the table and the sheet metal and some scrap wood on top and let her rip. Third option, lay the metal on some scrap wood, lay some more scrap wood on top of the metal as a straightedge guide, and hit the metal with an angle grinder.

If you pick up super thin wheel (vs a standard grinding wheel) it will cut thru the steel like butter. Same principle as the dremmel but on a larger scale. It will go faster, neater, and use a whole lot less cutting wheels. After the cut you can use the wheel to round off the edge and make it look perfect!

Too bad your so far away, I'd cut it for you. Worked with sheet metal for many years. Go buy a set of Wiss offset shears, that's what I would use most likely. Less than $30.00.

realstihl said:
Too bad your so far away, I'd cut it for you. Worked with sheet metal for many years. Go buy a set of Wiss offset shears, that's what I would use most likely. Less than $30.00.

x2 Reds are left & Greens are right. Offsets will do it fine.
Otherwise sheet metal shop can chop it off in a shear press quicker than you can blink. Clean & straight.
The only thing you can really score & break is aluminum. Galv. will bend before it even comes close to breaking.

realstihl said:
Go buy a set of Wiss offset shears, that's what I would use most likely. Less than $30.00.
I'd like to try out one of those. I own a standard set of 3 aviation snips and while I'd have no problem to cut the black pipe with snips, I think the surround would be a tad too heavy for snips.

As for skinny wheels on an angle grinder, I fully agree. The thinner it is the faster it cuts. I also keep one in one of my skilsaws.

+1 for the Wiss aviation snips. I have tried other brands and come back to Wiss for making nice cuts.

Hello and thank you all very much for all this info. I will certainly plan to get some good snips and thanks for the recommendations. Turns out I won't need it for the pipe as Ace hardware had a 1' tall section of black pipe that fit perfectly. So now I just need to cut the mantel shield, but it's nicely curved on the one side so I will have to be confident I can match it, or find someone else who is more proficient, whichever comes first. There's a lot of good people and experience on here!! THanks again.

Skil saw with a 7" metal blade ($5-7) will do it straight and clean, you save enought to buy the dremel for detail work (and works exc. for sharpening saw chain)

TheHeatElement said:
If you have a band saw that would work

Not.

You need at least two teeth in contact with the material at all times, that's the general rule. 24 TPI is the finest tooth count commercially available - way too course for sheet metal. Plus, most folks only have wood-cutting band saws, which cut at something like 1600 fpm, where you need something slow like 200 fpm to cut mild steel with a carbon steel blade.

Offset shears are a good, cheap, and safe option that will give a real nice cut if you pay attention to the line. I have a 12" bench shear, which is better yet, but not a one time use tool.

Whoa... but it can be done, maybe he has a shop available...

Battenkiller said:
TheHeatElement said:

Not.

You need at least two teeth in contact with the material at all times, that's the general rule. 24 TPI is the finest tooth count commercially available - way too course for sheet metal. Plus, most folks only have wood-cutting band saws, which cut at something like 1600 fpm, where you need something slow like 200 fpm to cut mild steel with a carbon steel blade.

Offset shears are a good, cheap, and safe option that will give a real nice cut if you pay attention to the line. I have a 12" bench shear, which is better yet, but not a one time use tool.

tickbitty said:
Hello and thank you all very much for all this info. I will certainly plan to get some good snips and thanks for the recommendations. Turns out I won't need it for the pipe as Ace hardware had a 1' tall section of black pipe that fit perfectly. So now I just need to cut the mantel shield, but it's nicely curved on the one side so I will have to be confident I can match it, or find someone else who is more proficient, whichever comes first. There's a lot of good people and experience on here!! THanks again.

Make some practice cuts first, wide of the final mark.

Snips, hack saw, recipricating saw w/ sheet metal blades, and a good file. If you can craft, you can make any cut nearly perfect w/ a little care. It just takes time.

TheHeatElement said:
Whoa... but it can be done, maybe he has a shop available...

Battenkiller said:
TheHeatElement said:

Not.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound officious. Just that the thought of somebody running 22 ga. steel into a wood-cutting blade with a 6 tpi skip-tooth blade at 1600 fpm made my hair stand up. Yes, with the right equipment it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.