CUTTING SPLITS?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROYJ24

Oct 3, 2007
S. JERSEY
Lately I been cutting splits with a mitre saw does anyone else do this?

Lacking a chiansaw, I often use my old B&D;10" mitersaw ... mostly on small rounds about 3 to 5 inches (sometimes I have to turn the piece once or twice). I'm VERY careful when doing this, even so, I've had a few pieces get stuck on the blade. I had to unplug the saw and beat the wood with a hammer to get it off the blade.

I've been eyeing a 15" Hitachi mitersaw on C/L, but it's about $250 used (and a good deal at that). Plus, it's too far away.

Cut carefully.

Peace,
- Sequoia

My Neighbor thinks I am very anal because we have a wood rack on the front porch (holds about a face cord) and everytime I fill it up(about 3Xs a month) I pull the compound miter saw out of the garage and cut every split down to 16 inches.-- When I bucked it up last winter I had a stove that would handle 20inch splits now to load our new stove effectively(East/West) I need 16 inch splits. I know my neighbors think I am crazy for burning wood anyways!--Expecially when I crawl up on the roof to check-clean the chimney!

As I haul from the shed I just eyeball for length (could use a gauge or stick of sort sort I guess) and anything longer than 16 inches I toss to the side. Once every week or two or three when the weather is good on Saturday morning I use the top handle 12 in saw and trim off the extra long pieces. Toss the dropoffs in a tub and burn them during that same day when I am there to feed if often. Only a 20 minute process.

k

deck2 said:
My Neighbor thinks I am very anal because we have a wood rack on the front porch (holds about a face cord) and everytime I fill it up(about 3Xs a month) I pull the compound miter saw out of the garage and cut every split down to 16 inches.-- When I bucked it up last winter I had a stove that would handle 20inch splits now to load our new stove effectively(East/West) I need 16 inch splits. I know my neighbors think I am crazy for burning wood anyways!--Expecially when I crawl up on the roof to check-clean the chimney!

I'd say you are the one who is blessed because you don't think like your neighbors!

See some of my earlier comments on the frame that I built to hold a BUNCH of overlength splits, and cut them as a batch with the chainsaw... I tried several methods, including my radial arm saw, a table saw, and a sawzall, and haven't found anything that is faster / easier than my split frame...

Essentially think an open sided box, the depth of my stove length - stack the splits in, then make a slice down the open side of the box with the saw...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.