Cutting/Splitting/Scrounging Weekend w/pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afblue

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Guy sold his saw mill 2 years ago and has at least 300 of these 4ftX4ftx12ft long bundles of slab wood. Mostly Beech, Maple and Oak. In the picture they are stacked about 12ft tall and 3 rows deep. Dont know if I can call this a scrounge because I did pay $20 for it. Guy said that he couldnt load my enclosed trailer, but take whatever I could fit!! I think I ended up with about 6,000 lbs before I figured thats all the trailer could take.

Over to my dads land to finish cutting and splitting. This is 1/10th of what was pulled out. ready for cutting and splitting.

Ripley the 3 year old Vizsla

The Wifey on here first splitting experience. She was proud of what we split in a 3 hours.

And finally the saws of the family. My Dads Husky 357XP 16"bar, Dads 1980 FarmBoss 041 w/ 20" bar, and My MS440 with a 18" ES bar

Nice Vizsla! As an owner of several bird dogs, I have to comment on your dogs before the wood! Do you hunt with him/her?

I havent trained him to hunt, most of the land around us is heavily wooded so we mostly just deer hunting. He does alot of his own exploring.

I'd say thats good enough for a scrounge

I made a saw buck and stacking the slabs up and buzzing through about 10-15 at once, seems to be going pretty quick. If it all goes smooth cutting and stacking I am going back for another load next weekend!! Guessing by the weight and stacking in my trailer I think its about 1 1/2 cords 2 years seasoned, and 2/3 of the bark has fallen off.

afblue said:
Guy sold his saw mill 2 years ago and has at least 300 of these 4ftX4ftx12ft long bundles of slab wood. Mostly Beech, Maple and Oak. In the picture they are stacked about 12ft tall and 3 rows deep. Dont know if I can call this a scrounge because I did pay $20 for it. Guy said that he couldnt load my enclosed trailer, but take whatever I could fit!! I think I ended up with about 6,000 lbs before I figured thats all the trailer could take.

$20 bucks for all of that wood is 'scrounged' in my book. Good find!

Status
Not open for further replies.