Cutting terra cotta?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dangf

Sep 15, 2006
No. VA
Hello all:

I've been lurking for about a year now, but this is my first post.

I recently repointed and re-crowned my chimney, and replaced the top 2' section of 9"x13" terra cotta flue. Lo and behold, the new terra cotta piece is about 4" taller than the broken one I removed, so now my stainless steel chimney liner is too short and does not quite reach the top plate.

My options are:

1 - Cut the terra cotta to the appropriate length. Unfortunately, I do not have a wet saw, and I'm having a heck of a time cutting with a dry 7" D concrete circular saw blade. The blade overheats almost immediately.

2 - Find a small stainless extension (a coupler perhaps?) that will give me an extra 4" of stainless liner length, and attach it with a support clamp. My liner is 6" D.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to cut the terra cotta or where I can find a small (and inexpensive) stainless liner extension? Or is there an entirely different solution?

Much appreciated.

-Dan

turn a ripping wood blade backwards and try that, i've used it with decent success when in a pinch.

You can have the wife or anyone use an old dish soap bottle full of water and aim at the blade as you cut the tile.

You can also score the tile with a chisel to cut the tile. Its a lot like cutting glass but use the saw it your nervous about breaking the tile.

Am I the only one that thinks a four inch piece of stainless pipe, and given where it will be maybe just 24 gauge pipe, would be a hell of a lot simpler answer to this?

Pack around the pipe with mineral wool, put on the top plate and rock and roll.

the chisel approach you rin the risk of cracking the lined past the cut off line. what masons who still use this method do, id fill the flue with packed sand to prevent uncontroled cracking. Here is another variation one might try. small carbide bi drill bit drill out many holes along the cutoff lind then saw it witha diamond blade one acanalso use a sawsall witha diamond blade as well and spray bottle.

BB offered an equally easier solution get a coupling and add a smooth ss liner section Personally I would use a diamond blade wiz wheel in my 4" grinder after I drilled the holes

I bought the DeWalt diamond blade and it worked well enough with periodic sprays of water. I'm now ready to burn. Thanks all.

Reactions: sleewok
Status
Not open for further replies.