Cutting with snow or no snow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Around here I would guess the majority of wood hauled out (both commercial and private) is done in the winter. That said, I’m not one of those folks. I would much rather work in the woods in the Spring or Fall . . . although this past year I ended up clearing a lot in the Summer.

The reason I don’t do much work in the woods in the Winter are many . . . the snow can get pretty deep, it can get mighty cold, I typically end up cold and wet at the end of the day, I would rather be out snowmobiling (snowmachining for you Alaskans) and I like the ability to be able to see what I’m cutting which may not always be the case with deep snow. I worked several weeks in the woods cutting pulp one winter when I got out of college and I quit my first job (long story short—I was writing for a commercial fishing trade journal and had zero experience with commercial fishing) . . . just a few weeks of slogging through the cold and snow was enough for me to realize that I much prefer working in the Spring (preferably after the snow has melted away, but before Mud Season and the Black Flies return.)

Status
Not open for further replies.