Cutting wood for something other than Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
I am a Wood Turner.
I make all kinds of Bowls, Hollowforms, Vases, Sculpture, and Platters
I get most of my turning stock from Tree Service friends that like to see the wood get used for something other than chipped up for mulch.
Often they call me when they have something interesting.
On my way out the door this morning to fix a plumbing (non-emergency) leak at my mother when I got a call from a Tree Service friend of mine that he had a large 40" diameter Sycamore Maple Trunk section that we could have if we wanted it.
Called mom and said I be over tomorrow instead. :)

I joined up with a friend and spent the afternoon getting some of it into my truck and home for processing.
On site the tree was down when we go there and the Arborist had a bobcat machine on site to help load it up.
This property is owned by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute so we were not allowed to use our saws on site. The Arborist did all the cutting and handling. We just told him where to cut. Case of cold beer and a finished piece going his way when I can.

We left more than half the trunk on site for someone else.
OnSitecutting.jpg

We loaded 4 large sections into the truck and made our way back to my place.
As you can see I have a F150. It was a bit over weight coming home. :)

Using a strap tied off to my porch footing we pulled the 4 sections off the truck 1 at a time. Each 1 weighed in at about 300 lbs+.

As you can see from the end grain there is some nice color in there and these things were big.
EndGrain.jpg

Here is 1/2 of 1 section next to my Golden Retriever for size.
This 1/2 and the one behind it go to my friend that helped.
It is a crotch section with some nice feather.
WayneSection2Marley.jpg

After about 2 hours cutting here is what I have to show for it.
MySlabswAS.jpg

That is a 5 gallon bucket to compare size.

All end grain has been coated with Anchorseal to minimize checking.
That's why they have a pale color to the slabs.

Each slab will get further sectioned into useable blanks.
Any really pretty blanks will also get cored with my Mcnaughton coring rig.

Start turning this stuff on Thursday.
More pictures to follow.
---Nailer---

Reactions: ScotO
Oooooooo..... Nice Score Nailer.....

Them are some big Rounds there..... Very Nice...

That will make some nice pieces ;)

Some pics of your finished products when you get them done, nailer! I do the same thing and make tomahawk hafts, hammer and hatchet handles, and the occasional turkey call striker out of them. I plan on saving some honey locust blanks for that kind of stuff this summer. I'd like to see your bowl turning rig and tools, I have a smaller lathe but would like to get into turning bowls and other things down the road....

That's the tiniest Golden Retriever I've ever seen. ;lol Can't wait to see some of this wood after you work your magic. Rick

Nice nailer. I carve, so when I go through my stacks, 20 or so splits end up in the "I can do something with this" pile. My wood guy is always on the lookout for nice grained wood. Mostly cherry, cherry burls, tiger maple and white oak for its' grain patterns. I carved a spalted maple piece a few months ago and it looked "muddy", but it appealed to someone. Good for you for scrounging blanks. Burls for me are hard to come by and pricey. The barter system works too.

I put this link up from time to time, these are something else.

http://www.woodshades.com/

Thanks Guys,

I will start dividing some of these up today.

Scotty, I'll take some pictures as I go.

Fossil, She is 73Lbs. Large for a Female Golden. She is a wood puppy :)
That 1/2 of the crotch is about 5 feet across and must weigh about 300Lbs.
The 4 pieces loaded on my truck was close to my 1/2 ton (just a guideline) limit :oops: .

fishingpol, If you call around to the local Arborist's (Tree Service Cos.)
They usually throw out Burls and crotches. They don't like to split them up due to difficulty.
Some even have piles of burls in an area of their yards.
For the cost of a few finished pieces they usually are happy to give them to you.
Most would rather see the wood get used vs. burned or chipped.

The link you posted is to Peter Bloch's Site in NH. I have long admired his work.
---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.