Cycle times for electric woodsplitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annette

Nov 19, 2005
the Indiana Riviera
Visit site
I've read at least 70 of the 70,000 threads mentioning electric splitters, and no one mentions the cycle time. In case I'm using the incorrect term, I mean the time it takes to split the wood, and also the time to retract so you can put a new piece on. This is mentioned occasionally in discussions of gas splitters, and it would seem to be just as important to know about electric splitters.

So, if you have an electric splitter by Ryobi, Task Force, Dr, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc. (in the 4-6 ton range) I'd love some info on this.

Thanks

I have a 5 ton from Princess Auto (a Canadian co that sells cheap Chinese tools), it advertised an 8 sec cycle time. I think its a bit closer to 10-11 seconds. I like it because it has an adjustable push bar, all the way retracted it splits max 21" wood, then it has a pull pin you can remove and set the starting position of the push pad at 18" or 16". When you are splitting smaller wood like I do (16") there is no point in having the ram retract all the way to 21" to start over again....I'm happy with mine, cost me $255.00 in Nov 2007.

I bought and returned a Task Force from Lowes. I would guess it was close to a twenty second cycle time.

Annette,

I think these small electric splitters such as Roybi, Task Force, DR, etc. don’t talk about cycle time for marketing reasons. Most of them are either relatively slow or relatively weak.

Physics is a well defined subject and cannot be changed. With a given power (and most of these machines have 1500 watts give or take a few), a hydraulics only machine affords you limited choices. You can have only so much pressure and volume. The more pressure (splitting force) the less volume (speed); the more speed, the less splitting force. To get both high speed and high splitting force using hydraulics, you need more power than these units have.

Not to say these units don’t have their place but don’t expect to get both tree crushing power and lightening speed in a low powered, compact unit which relies only on hydraulics. It is a physical impossibility.

That said, for someone who does not want to spend a lot of money on a splitter and say has a little more time on their hands or is only splitting 1 / 2 to 1 cord a year, these units are quite adequate. I don’t think I would want to do my 7 cord a year with one but some people do.

If you want to have a splitter with good splitting force and speed with 1500 watts of motor power you have to use some other principle to run the machine besides hydraulics.

Annette,

To answer your question... the cycle time for my Ryobi is 15 seconds. That is if I need to cycle all the way through the wood. Depending on species you only need to go 1/4 or 1/2 way through the wood before you let it retract, so the cycle time is less.

I believe my task force was 10 seconds to the end of the ram travel. I block up the return travel to the size of the wood. On most of the wood I have split this far (poplar) I only need about 3 or 4 seconds of ram travel before the wood splits.

I would suggest searching for "wood splitter" on video.google.com. There's plenty of electrics, hydraulics, and some home made scary stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.