cyclone lid for shop vac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler walker

Dec 6, 2012
Highland, NY
has anyone tried a cyclonic attachment for their shop vac for cleaning out their pellet stoves?
something like this
http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/20...ode=10INGOPB&gclid=CKTu8LqajLQCFQmCQgodvicAKw

i have a shop vac going with a HEPA filter, but it clogs quickly. i've just read about putting a drywall bag on the filter to extend filter life. i'm going to try that, but i'm curious if the cyclone lid would get most of the offending particulates before they hit the filter. they're most often used for sawdust, as i understand it. as long as the ash was cool, seems like they might be similar.

they don't seal very well so your not going to keep your hepa rating.

These cyclone covers are meant to catch large chunks and keep your dust collector from filling up with large stuff.

I have no filter in my Shop Vac only the yellow drywall bag.

Interesting. I grabbed a couple drywall bags today. They're $10 each ($20 for a 2 pack). I paid $33 for the HEPA filter. I can knock out the filter to get more life out of it, and as I understand it the bags just need to be tossed. Obviously, I'll be doing my own testing as well, but in your experience do the bags last long enough to remain economical?

I get a full season out of a bag then toss it. Its a lot less messier. IMO

Id still run the regular filter or HEPA filter. The Filtration bags will keep your filter clean. My HEPA almost looks new still (after 3 years) because the bag stops most of the dust. Just a very light coating on the inside of my Shop vac.

I too get a year out of each bag. I'm using a 3 HP 6 gallon Shop vac and cleaning 3 stoves in the house and any other odd job that calls for the little vac.

I'd use the bags and a regular drywall/ash fine filter or hepa filter

Status
Not open for further replies.