Cylinder re-build now running weird

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Have a Champion 17 ton splitter that was leaking oil pretty bad from the cylinder gaskets. Had a hydraulic co. re-build the cylinder and when we got the splitter re-assembled, it runs weird.

Before the piston would glide smoothly in and out. Now it seems to stutter or be very balky moving 1/2 to 1" and pausing, then doing that the whole travel, both in and out. Made sure all connections are correct, filled with brand new hyd oil too.
I believe they re-did all of the seals including the piston seals and any others.

Is there any kind of procedure to break in the new seals or anything I should be doing? (unfortunately it's Friday after 6 and the place is closed :()

TIA

Sounds like air in the cylinder.

Run the cylinder all the way out, crack the bleeder and retract. Repeat as necessary until no more air comes out when retracting.

Tried that and all that came out was oil. Still running pretty bad stutter.

I also took the bleeder out too far and it flew out and I ended up with the bleeder hex "nut", spring, ball bearing and what looked like a bearing cup. No clue which order these go back into the bleeder port - anyone know?

Got it sorted, put back together, bled and runs real nice now.

Reactions: MasterMech
Status
Not open for further replies.