D-vent versus B-vent with heat-recovery ventillator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberiad

Hearth Supporter
Dec 17, 2009
central coast, California
Some B-vent gas fireplaces seem to have high specified efficiency. An example would be, some ads for Monessen say their B-vent units' efficiency is "up to 80%".

I understand the B-vent will create negative pressure and draw cold air in the house, so high efficiency can be a bit of a joke, depending. But maybe a heat-recovery ventillator could equalize the pressure and pre-heat the incoming air?

Bottom line is I want the occasional option of opening the fireplace doors, if that's reasonable and practical.

any extra air circulation system can potentially mess up a bvent stove in a tight house... I have found folks with system like that often have a problem with the spill switch tripping because of the negative pressure holding low exhaust rates in the spill hood.

<>Bottom line is I want the occasional option of opening the fireplace doors, if that's reasonable and practical.<>

You can open the doors on a Direct Vent or a B-Vent, but for aesthetic purposes only.
There will STILL be a piece of tempered or pyroceram behind the doors.
Both are sealed combustion chambers.
The difference is how that combustion air gets in...

Status
Not open for further replies.