Daily WOOD ID post......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ailanthus , smell like crap?

actually this one DOESN'T smell like crap! My entire neighborhood smells like dog sh1t from all the red oak tho!!!
This one just smells like "wood", and I have a very sensitive nose.

Then it isn't, as Ailanthus makes red oak smell like roses. Bark is that color but rather smooth. It would have to be beat up for it to look like that .

Any other angles we can see?

Sycamore ?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Reactions: ScotO
I agree with lukem. Hackberry is almost the color of paper when split. The whitest wood I have seen when split

It looks and feels like hackberry on the INSIDE but the bark is throwing me... I'll get leaves this afternoon.
There was a 30 foot 24" branch that fell on a coworkers deck... It was a yard tree... now its a stack of rounds in my driveway! :)

Doesn't hackberry have a somewhat cherry smell to it?

Hackberry is more akin to elm in my experience. Never taken the time to smell any.

hack.jpg

Here is a stick of hackoberry.

That's a big stick you have!
INSIDE it looks like hackberry, the bark is what's throwing me.

Yea the bark is off. Was it beat the crap up dragging it or anything like that?

Nice bench you are using Jay!

Reactions: smokinj
Putting my money on Ailanthus, but its just a guess really. I haven't really seen Ailanthus or Hackberry big enough that a Limb is 24".
Can Ailanthus even get that big?

Putting my money on Ailanthus, but its just a guess really. I haven't really seen Ailanthus or Hackberry big enough that a Limb is 24".
Can Ailanthus even get that big?

Yes, there are some near where I work that are bigger than that, big monsters at least 70 feet tall.

I will take some more pictures of the bark tonight, but the leaves and the berries SCREAM Hackberry.
The only deviation is the bark.

I bet Sycamore.
hard wood to split by hand. I have a couple rows of it.

I recognize that Hackberry up there.
That was a fun day. Bacon and egg sandwiches.::P

Status
Not open for further replies.