Dakota Wind Farm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Heat

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
St. Louis, Missouri
This is promising, especially since I live in the mid-west. ;)

GE Unit Partners with Leading Wind Farm Developer in $381 Million Project

...The $381 million project, which went into commercial operation last month,

...North Dakota is the No. 1 state for wind energy potential, with resources sufficient to produce 1,210 billion
kilowatt hours annually, equivalent to 40 percent of US electricity needs, according to the American Wind
Energy Association. South Dakota, with 1,030 kilowatt hours, is No. 4 for wind energy potential.

..."The Dakotas' high wind energy potential and low population means that wind power will be available to
transmit to the rest of the Midwest,"

Full link here: http://tinyurl.com/6bt9vg

GE had a rotor on display on the plaza where I work a couple of years ago.
It was quite impressively long!

Besides wind, a big impediment to wind farms has been the lack of transmission lines and substation capacity infrastructure to take power to the user. These are expensive to build. Looks like ND has or is building extra capacity to handle the wind output. There are new transmission line projects in the works in MN, so I suspect that MN (currently 3rd in wind electric production) also will be a big player in this clean energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.