Damaged Chimney - need advice [pics]

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abrucerd

Aug 22, 2007
Central MA
Did my year end cleaning today... got up on the roof to sweep my chimney and found that it was falling apart. Holes near the top (see photos)

I don't know much about chimneys... is this part of the chimney cap (i don't think it is)? It looks like a separate piece than the rest of the chimney.

I'm guessing this needs replacing... is this something I can replace myself, or should I bring in a professional?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Chimney.jpg
    Chimney.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 775
  • Chimney 2.jpg
    Chimney 2.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 701
It all depends on what you feel comfortable doing. Please remember if you replace the chimney and something bad happens your insurance might not cover damages and you could be liable if someone gets hurt, that also means the firemen that come to help you and your neighbors.

Eric

OMG what are you burning and how old is that chimney?

That looks like Simpson duratech class A chimney. I'm guessing galvanized outer shell by what happened to it.

If you can figure out what kind of pipe it is, you may be able to just replace that last section by twisting it off. I would suggest a new cap also.

Depending on the age of the entire system it might not be a bad idea to have a pro sweep come out and inspect the whole thing for safety.

jtp10181 said:
OMG what are you burning and how old is that chimney?

Unfortunately, I don't know. I moved into this house nearly 2 years ago... the pellet stove was already installed.

I haven't had any issued burning the last 2 seasons... but my wife is expecting, so I think it's best to get a professional to come out this summer and give everything a once over. Better safe than sorry.

Still, if anyone has ideas on how the chimney could corrode like that, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

abrucerd said:
......I'm guessing this needs replacing......

I think that's the understatement of the year! :lol:

I have the same questions.....what brand and type pipe is that? Are you burning something besides pellets in it, like corn?

should the brand be listed on the pipe?

I've only burned pellets... no idea what the previous owner was doing (or for how long...).

Without question, that top 12" section must be replaced. Might as well get a new cap while you're at it. If you can determine what type (manufacturer & product line) chimney it is (looks to me like Simpson Dura-Vent, too, but don't take that to the bank), then it could be as simple as you obtaining the parts and replacing them. Personally, I'd want a pro sweep to have a thorough first-hand look at the whole system and offer advice. Rick

The small angled locking "tabs" I see in the pic tend to make me lean toward Simpson DuraTech too. I have the same type on my house, although it's 8" because it originally was for a wood stove. But that's what it looks like to me. Maybe you can PM Eric at Kinsman and ask him what he thinks.....he sells Simpson.

I would highly recommend having the hole thing torn out and replaced. form the pictures that i see the chimney looks very much like a metalbestos brand chimney judging by the style of the cap, the twist lock, and the seam where the two pieces meet. where the locking band is missing. there is no way that there is no other damage to the chimney. BE AWARE THAT A CHIMNEY THAT OLD MOST LIKLEY HAS ASBESTOS FOR INSULATION BETWEEN THE INNER AND OUTER WALLS.

My guess the damage is from years of abuse with the previous wood stove that was obviously installed there.

If you do need to replace the entire chimney you can do it in all pellet pipe and same some money. If you can get the same brand as the pellet pipe inside the house you might be able to re-use that stuff.

1st: Metalbestos never had asbestos in it. Still be careful, has other crap in it.

2nd: Thats a "Class A" chimney, you don't need it with a pellet stove. Rip it all out and reuse the hole in the roof. You only need "Class L" pellet vent, about 20% the cost of "Class A"

3rd: You don't sound like your sure of yourself in this situation, Hire an NFI certified installer to do the job and you can sleep at night......maybe not with a new baby.

4th: Looks like the chimney was used to vent a coal stove, that would eat the chimney like that. That era chimney used 302 stainless on the outside layer.

humpin iron said:
3rd: You don't sound like your sure of yourself in this situation, Hire an NFI certified installer to do the job and you can sleep at night......maybe not with a new baby.

Very good point, and that's the next step. I've reached out to a pro already and am just waiting to hear back.

As for the varying chimney types... what is the difference between class A and class L from a size standpoint? My concern is, if I go with class L... is it small than class A? How will that work with the existing vent going through my ceiling/roof.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what to expect from a $ standpoint. I already dropped 1k for next season's pellets... I suppose I'm invested on fixing this issue already...

L vent is much smaller, you will have to do some sheet rock repair to the ceiling, a good installer should be able to help you with this.. L vent is what should be used for pellet stoves. Don't worry about a great repair to the roof it's already a mess. Have the installer do a good job and make it water tight, when you re-roof you can correct the aesthetics.

If I had to guess your in a $4-700 range to make this right, soup to nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.