Damaged Maples

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
This is one of quite a few maple trees that have this going on in varying degrees.
Not sure what caused it, but the tops aren't leafing out anymore.
I think I'll start taking these down.....what say y'all?

0920121418.jpg0920121419.jpg

Yep, that tree is doomed, eventually. Looks like someone ran a piece of equipment into it (prior logging operation or something?) at one time. Might as well make do of it, before the inside rots out, and cut her down for firewood. Is it an easy drop?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Thanks Scotty. Yeah, easy.
It's in the woods, along with the rest of 'em.:cool: I should be able to put it down right beside the trail back there. It's soft maple, so shoulder wood.
I think you're right about equip. damage. The trails lead to areas where large white pine stumps and tree tops/branches were left.

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks Scotty. Yeah, easy.
It's in the woods, along with the rest of 'em.:cool: I should be able to put it down right beside the trail back there. It's soft maple, so shoulder wood.
I think you're right about equip. damage. The trails lead to areas where large white pine stumps and tree tops/branches were left.

Great SS wood there, PapaDave. Plus it seasons quickly.

I see that alot around here too. In fact, that coffeetree job I'm doing in November, both trees (and they were huge, mature trees, beautiful too) were damaged by poor equipment operators. Both trees are doomed. One tree has half of the feeder roots ripped out from a sewer line install, its neighboring tree was slapped by the boom of the backhoe (resulting in a huge chunk of the trunk bark being taken out. They'll be good firewood trees, though....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Better to cut & control the time & place it goes. It's gonna go soon anyway.
Sooner CSS, the better firewood it'll be.
Looks like an oak is ready to take it's place :)

Dave, I would not hesitate and get them down ASAP. Better now before they start to rot. Then you would not want to be cutting them!

A neighbor had some thinning done on their woodlot several years ago. Sad, but when they skidded the logs out they damaged most of the rest of the trees and most had to be taken down. Not sure if they sued or what but that surely would not have set well with me.

Bad logger! That's what caused that.

TONS of oak saplings. I'll never get to use 'em though.:mad:
Took the tree down, but ran out of fuel.>> I'll go back out tomorrow.and buck it up. I finished s/s the oak from a few days ago instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.