damaged pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smmm

Aug 1, 2010
Ohio
I have been reading through a lot of post about keeping accurate temperatures. It seems to be a common worry about damaging the stove pipe and/or chimney pipe. I am not worried about mine, yet that is, but am wondering what damage will happen to the pipe if temperatures are too high. What signs of damage should you keep an eye on?

What kind of chimney pipe...Class A? Tile?
Black stove pipe will begin to glow, outgas any paint and turn white when cools when fired too high. Outgassing will cause smoke and/or CO detectors to alarm. I've had my black stove pipe to 450* external temp (not paying proper attention). That's roughly 900* internal temp. That was more than I'm comfortable with. But only a greyish haze near flue side. 1200* paint will solve that in the summer time.

Class A. It seems that every time I read a post about temps getting to high, everyone is more concerned about the chimney than the stove. What problems other than cosmetic can happen. Can you ruin the chimney from too high of temperatures.

Yes, you can ruin your chimney from letting get to hot.
This happened to me last year, due to a very wet fall and ash buildup within the AB chamber my wood required more time on start up to get burning. The temps got too hot in the pipe and it warped it from the inside.
I basically ruined a stretch of Duravent Double wall, and a stretch of Class A HT pipe.

What kinda scares me about this is that I really couldn't tell what happened until I had the yearly chimney clean done on it.
No, smoke smell no CO2 detectors going off. I did have a harder time keeping it going but I thought that was due to the wet wood.

So if you do overheat your pipe it would be a good idea to have it checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.