Damaged stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
I found out one of the local stove dealers has a bunch of damaged stoves and 0 clearance units literally laying out back. Most look damaged beyond repair...ie a small dutchwest with a broken flue exit casting. A lot of other parts look good though.. Door, grates, handles etc... Is there any demand for this stuff? I wonder if those stove are written off completely?

Would they give them to me? (I'll dispose of them..sort of)

Are there IRS restrictions on selling that stuff once written off?

I'd ask. Cast iron is quite valuable as scap if one can haul it safely and a reasonable distance. The parts that you mention can bring pretty fair prices on Ebay. Worth looking into.

ATB,
Mike P

Even a broken flue exit casting on a dutchwest is no problem. You can order that part and then just rebuild the stove yourself. Might be a good way to save some cash.

I think you are going to find that their dealership agreement requires them to destroy defective stoves that have been replaced under warranty.

when we condemn a stove that is defective if we do not have the stove shipped back to the factory, we ask for the door to the unit and its serial tag which shows the UL listing at that point the dealer may scrap the unit and if they wish they are welcome to strip it of any parts they may find useful in helping other customers, we will not credit them for the unit unless we recieve the stove or the door and tag which shows that it has been taken out of service. if the tag is still on the unit it still could potentially be put back into service with a UL listing on it which could be potentially scary for the manufacturer which is why we go through the procedure we do. i assume most manufacturers will require similar constraints when they deal with that situation. i would point out however , that there likely are parts which could be handy for rebuilding units which are in condition that they may be salvaged with the right wrench turner and parts. i'd look at them if it were me to see what the deal is on them. but bear in mind , without that tag it is illegal to install the unit.

hope this sheds some light on the situation for you, no kidding thats what is usually done

stoveguy2esw said:
when we condemn a stove that is defective if we do not have the stove shipped back to the factory, we ask for the door to the unit and its serial tag which shows the UL listing at that point the dealer may scrap the unit and if they wish they are welcome to strip it of any parts they may find useful in helping other customers, we will not credit them for the unit unless we recieve the stove or the door and tag which shows that it has been taken out of service. if the tag is still on the unit it still could potentially be put back into service with a UL listing on it which could be potentially scary for the manufacturer which is why we go through the procedure we do. i assume most manufacturers will require similar constraints when they deal with that situation. i would point out however , that there likely are parts which could be handy for rebuilding units which are in condition that they may be salvaged with the right wrench turner and parts. i'd look at them if it were me to see what the deal is on them. but bear in mind , without that tag it is illegal to install the unit.

hope this sheds some light on the situation for you, no kidding thats what is usually done

Mike,
That's the rough equivalent of a salvage title for a vehicle or a cover tear of a book. It seems a wise industry standard for preventing a bad product from getting on the market as a good one. With vehicles we have bone yards, makes sense to do the same for stove parts. You could with enough parts open a shop for them and call it "Clean One Owners". I suppose if I lived in an area where there were lots of stove and dealers, I would really consider doing that. I really like the idea of recycling good parts.Seems a shame to destroy the non-damaged/defective stuff. The only industry I see this as a bad idea is aircraft, which is tightly regulated.

We also have to send the UL (or OMNI) plates back to MFG if we get credit. IF we get credit. Usually from there then end up in the green monster (dumpster). A lot of damaged fireplaces are from who knows what and they end up sitting on the shelf till someone wants a good deal. Hard to get credit when you have no idea who/how it was damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.