Damn Asian Longhorned Bettle!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
I am gathering wood for my stove that I hope to install later this month in my house on Eastern Long Island where my parents live. I live 60 miles west in a NYC suburb neighborhood in Queens called Forest Hills. It has beautiful trees, many different species, mainly Oaks and London Planes (sycamore, i believe). Anyway, coming home I saw this tree cut down today and quarantined because of beetle infestation. These beetles are going to change entire tree landscape all over the country. I am sure nature will find a balance, but I am afraid it will require planting new trees and saying good bye to the beautiful ones we now have.

Not to mention that I can't take this wood and burn it. What a waste.

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 485
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 454
I've run into that up here, I had to pass on over 3 cords of seasoned wood because it was in the quarantined area in the last year. Split seasoned two years but couldnt leave the zone.

Whats the scope of the quarantine? Does it mean no way you can have it or you can't move it X miles? I thought X was 50?

Up heres it zones, it has to stay in that zone, not sure how big the zones are.

i was just looking in the USDA website for the quarantine rules and I could not find a radius number. But I had heard from firewood companies that they could not move wood more than fifty miles.

However, the USDA does say wood in a quarantine zone cannot be moved outside it without it being made into small woodchips.

I did see that they are getting more aggressive in their treatment of the areas of infestations, using insecticides and chopping trees. I still think the beetle will prevail and it will be a problem we will constantly have to treat and lookout for.

The ALB seems to be spreading still up here - at least the quarantine zone isn't getting any smaller each year. I am watching close as I live pretty close to it and worry that it may well be within my scrounging radius within a couple years. I do hope a way of controlling it is found sooner than later.

Man that is a crying shame to let wood like that go to waste.. Do these "experts" even truly know that these beetles will only stay in one area? I bet they are more widely spread than anyone knows..

Ray

raybonz said:
Man that is a crying shame to let wood like that go to waste.. Do these "experts" even truly know that these beetles will only stay in one area? I bet they are more widely spread than anyone knows..

Ray

Ray,
I suspect (and hope) that the state and federal forestry folks are far more expert than we. Nobody knows all.
They at least have the resources to set traps to see if various super-nasty pests (EAB & ALB) are in the area. Folks have spotted the blue boxes hanging above the roads in VT, and I've seen various in Fairfield, Westchester, Putnam & Rockland counties down here. Then they pool their info.
Maybe hogged-fuel burners are the way to go- simple and efficient if the machinery's in place.

CTYank said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Ray,
I suspect (and hope) that the state and federal forestry folks are far more expert than we. Nobody knows all.
They at least have the resources to set traps to see if various super-nasty pests (EAB & ALB) are in the area. Folks have spotted the blue boxes hanging above the roads in VT, and I've seen various in Fairfield, Westchester, Putnam & Rockland counties down here. Then they pool their info.
Maybe hogged-fuel burners are the way to go- simple and efficient if the machinery's in place.

You need to enlighten me on the "hogged-fuel" burners that's something I haven't heard about.. I suspect these destructive critters are more widespread than anyone realizes..

Ray

Most of the time I believe the state, bags these up and burns them.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.