Damn Beavers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If an MNR officer happens to pop out from behind a tree or spies down the drainage ditch with his binnies and sees me walking out with dead beavers in my hand and no licence in the other, I'll be off to Federal Pound-Me-In-The-XXX Prison before I know it. I don't take my chances with that.. I'm allowed to shoot 'em as nuisance wildlife and that's good enough for me.

Well, I got the one in the first 3 photos out today. Butt log was 25'4" long and 27" across the stump:

beaverwhiteash004.jpg

The 2 tops:

beaverwhiteash005.jpg

I almost wish I'd left the one on the right to be pushed back into the river once I saw it at the yard. The piss elm that had to come down will be pushed back when I have a dozer here in the spring:

beaverwhiteash003.jpg

bogydave said:
I've used 330s for Wolverine, otter & beaver, always found them dead.
I used rope to collapse the springs, & used the the safety hooks, remove the spring safeties, then the trap safety last, just before leaving the set.
Safeties on before re-baiting or getting close to the trigger, just remember to take them off before you leave.
Don't work very well if you leave the safety hooks on :) , bait is usually gone & trap not sprung & you laugh at yourself. :red: Or you have a real smart critter :)
Some stories of broken arms. Strong killer traps.

Deer camp joke:

Old man goes to the dentist for a filling. Doc says "here is some pain killer to make this more managable for you". Old man refuses, says "Doc, I don't feel pain, never have. Only twice in my life have I felt any pain." Doc asks what those 2 times were. "Well, while working my trap line one morning, nature came a callin'. I dropped my drawers a settled down over top of one of my traps and it went off. Got me right in the package." Doc cringes and says "oh that's terrible. That must have been very painful." Old man says "that didn't hurt as much as the other time I felt pain." Doc looks confused and says "you mean there was something more painful than that?". Old man says "yep, when I ran out of chain." but um bump.

EatenByLimestone said:
Be careful with the 330s if you go that route. I've had 220s slip a spring catch and close on my with only 1 of the springs. That hurt. 330s would hurt more.

Matt

Whoa! Just had a bad thought! What if one of those suckers got ahold of your hand...UNDER the ice???

them bevers taste pretty good, allot like pork or bear.

greythorn3 said:
them bevers taste pretty good, allot like pork or bear.

Damn... Can't say I'd ever eat a beaver that smelled, let alone tasted, even remotely like a bear! ;)

mywaynow said:
Old man says "yep, when I ran out of chain." but um bump.

K. I'll say it. Never having done any trapping, I don't get it.

babzog said:
mywaynow said:
Old man says "yep, when I ran out of chain." but um bump.

K. I'll say it. Never having done any trapping, I don't get it.

Guy took off running when the trap caught his package and the stop chain yanked his package when it ran out of length - double ouch!

P.S. I really like beaver(s).

Cheers!

SPAFFORD, N.Y. — Police say Justin Clark had a plan for removing a nuisance beaver dam near his rural central New York property.

Instead, he now has a severely injured hand and a drug-related arrest. And the dam is still there.

The Onondaga County Sheriff's Office tells the Posts-Standard of Syracuse that Clark was using gunpowder to make a homemade bomb he intended to use to blow up a beaver dam near his property in the town of Spafford, 20 miles southwest of Syracuse.

But the device accidentally exploded Saturday, causing serious injuries to one of his hands.

The sheriff's bomb disposal team was called in to investigate. That's when detectives say they found 10 marijuana plants growing inside Clark's house.

He was charged with weapon and marijuana possession, and reckless endangerment. It wasn't known if he had a lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.