1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

damn this nice weather!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by mass_burner, Oct 5, 2013.

1. mass_burner

mass_burner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Hasn't broke 55 in overnight here for the last 7 days. I'm ready to burn!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I have the windows open and it is 80 degrees in the house. I took the air conditioners down a week ago. :confused:
  3. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    You could always relocate. I drove through at least 6" of crap this morning on the way to work. Last night, I-70 was closed for about 3-5 hrs due to snow, ice, and accidents.
  4. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah I have an insane in-law couple that just moved from San Antonio, Texas, lived in Texas all their lives, to just north of Colorado Springs last month. Boy are they in for a surprise. At 86 years of age. <>
    Joful, Swedishchef and Woody Stover like this.
  5. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Saw that snow on the news, OMG !!!

60F here tonight, gonna be a while before I light the PE again.
    OldLumberKid likes this.
  6. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Took the ACs out today.

Still have not finished rebuilding the stove.

The cold will come.
  7. OldLumberKid

OldLumberKid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Remember Spring was pretty cool there for a while and peeps were burning well into it.
    The cold weather will come soon enough. The ocean water here last week (cuz I wuz in it, surfing) seemed colder than normal for Sept.
    But seems to have warmed up again at the 20 mile buoy -- water temp there is now 67.5 °F
  8. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Cold will be here soon enough , I love this
    Gark likes this.
  9. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Bless this nice weather is what I say when we have great weekend weather in October. It will be cold soon enough. Enjoy the sunshine if you've got it. I know it did this weekend. The wood stove can wait for another week or two.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    For sure you should enjoy the nice weather while it is here. Soon enough the cold winds will be blowing.
  11. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    We fired up some food in the oven last night and got the house back up to 67. Now we're back into some warmer temps for at least a week. :) I'm in no rush to start eating into my wood stash just yet....
  12. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass
    been using the past three mornings to burn some smaller dry limbs. gets the busy morning area of the house up to 72 in no time. i have plenty of kindling otherwise.
  13. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    i'm not in a hurry to get cold. my shed needs a roof and the stove needs a little work. then it'll get cold and i say WHERE'S SPRING
  14. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Not quite so nice any more ... it says 49 F here but it feels like 41 degrees

Mrs. seems to like it like that though.
  15. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass

34 F overnight low, now 45 raw rain. when i left this morning house was 73 F - all wood heat baby!

where is Sandyland anyway?
  16. DevilsBrew

DevilsBrew Minister of Fire

In the 60s today. We have had yo-you weather for over a year. Warm one day, freezing the next. Lots of rain.
  17. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass

We are in a long dry spell, finally some rain today. Top soil is literally turning to dust.
  18. MishMouse

MishMouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Verndale, MN
    We have been in a cold wet windy spell since mid September. Now since the temps have been going below freezing instead of getting rain we are getting snow. I wish it would warm up here and stay there at least until mid-December. Started burning 24-7 about 2 weeks ago I am not ready for it yet.
  19. OldLumberKid

Loc:
    Sandyland
    You can keep the rain. Well actually the garden and the flowers — Montauk Daisies in major bloom right now — need it.

And there's yer clue. Sandyland ... Lawnguyland ... it's sandy, and it got hit by Hurricane Sandy, and that was the source of most of my scrounge.
  20. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Still nothing here. I did finish the stove and do two break in burns but that was it, ther than using the fireplace once while watching the Sox.

Next few days we have mid 60s day/50s night, then it takes a big dip to the 40s/20s a couple days then supposedly back up to the 60s.

At this rate I probably wont get into a burn rythm till Thanksgiving time. Typical here and OK with me since I dont have enough wood to go straight through from Oct-Apr anyway (nor the need with NG so cheap)
  21. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Warm is fine with me. It got cold too early last year and ate a half cord of this years stash.
  22. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I'm surprised you haven't been colder up there, Jeremy. We've been seeing lows in the 30's every night for the last week, with highs 45 - 55F. I've been burning overnight loads every day, and even a couple of morning loads.

A warm front hit us yesterday, tho, and we'll be seeing highs upper 60's (maybe even 70) the next two days.

Also, spring took forever. I don't think I recall such a cool April/May... and even June.
  23. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Oh we did have overnight lows dip into the 30s in the last week but now it warmend up again. Daytime highs were still in the 50s/60s though so not worth lighting up for me. Since I have the cheap NG I save the wood for days that are low 40s or below.

Im about 15mi from the Ocean as the crow flies so I think that moderates my temp a bit relative to W mass.
  24. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass

oh, got it.
  25. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass

i'm right down the road east from you, in Cohasset, if i go on my roof i can see the ocean. been to W mass and it does seem colder there, maybe the humidity difference.