Damper installation in New Stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

menchhofer

Jan 10, 2006
Indiana
I had 3CB installed and was told it did not need a damper.

I removed the 3CB last year and replaced it with F500...again without a flue damper.... I am a bit confused as 20 years ago all stoves were installed with a damper. Are they required on the newer stoves? thanks

They're not required, but handy if you have too strong draft. What length stack is on the stove? Is is an interior or exterior chimney?

The stack length is about 15 ft or so. Stove seems to work fine. the Oslo is heating the home well, about 1800 sq ft coooler bedrooms of course. Tried the 3CB first but it was not large enough and did not hold fire very long.

Back in the old days there was infinate amount of heat for draft, so a damper would help you control it and keep some of the heat in the stove. Now days, stoves are far more efficient, and a damper isnt needed unless you have a very tall chimmey, once again to prevent the stove from sucking some of the gasses and heat out of the stove. Newer stoves are much more draft sensitive then the old ones they replaced.

menchhofer said:
The stack length is about 15 ft or so. Stove seems to work fine. the Oslo is heating the home well, about 1800 sq ft coooler bedrooms of course. Tried the 3CB first but it was not large enough and did not hold fire very long.

Have you been burning for multiple years with this stove? Sounds like it's fine the way it is.

this is 2nd year with the stove. Last year was first and it seemed to be fine...but I am old school and always used a damper with the old stove I had for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.