1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Damper installation in New Stoves?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by menchhofer, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. menchhofer

menchhofer Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    I had 3CB installed and was told it did not need a damper.

I removed the 3CB last year and replaced it with F500...again without a flue damper.... I am a bit confused as 20 years ago all stoves were installed with a damper. Are they required on the newer stoves? thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Throttlebender

Throttlebender New Member

Loc:
    Cincinnati, OH
    Don't know about the damper as I've yet to install my own stove but how do you like the Oslo? Is it heating your home well enough?
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    They're not required, but handy if you have too strong draft. What length stack is on the stove? Is is an interior or exterior chimney?
  4. menchhofer

menchhofer Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    The stack length is about 15 ft or so. Stove seems to work fine. the Oslo is heating the home well, about 1800 sq ft coooler bedrooms of course. Tried the 3CB first but it was not large enough and did not hold fire very long.
  5. menchhofer

menchhofer Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    Forgot, interior chimney
  6. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    Back in the old days there was infinate amount of heat for draft, so a damper would help you control it and keep some of the heat in the stove. Now days, stoves are far more efficient, and a damper isnt needed unless you have a very tall chimmey, once again to prevent the stove from sucking some of the gasses and heat out of the stove. Newer stoves are much more draft sensitive then the old ones they replaced.
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Have you been burning for multiple years with this stove? Sounds like it's fine the way it is.
  8. menchhofer

menchhofer Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    this is 2nd year with the stove. Last year was first and it seemed to be fine...but I am old school and always used a damper with the old stove I had for many years.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.