Damper Issues on Vigilant Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

1630Hemlock

Dec 30, 2016
Lords Valley, PA
I have a Vermont Castings Vigilant Wood Burning Stove installed in 1984. Sometimes when running it, the damper sticks. That makes me "manhandle" the damper handle leading to cracking of porcelain and it also pivots up too high. So, in order to reopen the damper so I can add wood, I open the top griddle plate an inch or two and poke the damper with my wrought iron shovel. Sometimes it sticks, sometimes it moves freely. Not being able to see inside the stove (when it's cold) very well, I have no idea why it's hanging up. Any ideas?

Could you take some pictures of the inside of the stove? It's possible there is some warping of the stove which is causing the issue.

agree on the warping. might be time for a total rebuild.

What do you mean by a total rebuild?

If there are in fact panels warped, they would need to be replaced. A stove of this age is due to either be replaced, or rebuilt completely. I really enjoyed running my Vermont Castings Defiant, but was also very happy with its newer, more efficient replacement. Look closely inside the stove for any cracks or signs of warped panels.

In fact it's likely to be just the fireback that's warped. The damper sits om top of the fireback and so its movement will become impinged by the irregular expansion of the fireback. IF the stove was new in 1984 then it should be a Vig, 2 which has a 2 piece fireback, replaceable without complete disassembly. At its age it would certainly benefit from a rebuild, but you have the option. Fireback replacement instructions should be in this forum somewhere.

they are not hard to rebuild. it's just a messy job. as long as you don't mind getting your hands dirty it's easy. and a positive to a total rebuild is you get to really know your stove and how it works.

in the wiki there should be a manual for this stove

they are not hard to rebuild. it's just a messy job. as long as you don't mind getting your hands dirty it's easy. and a positive to a total rebuild is you get to really know your stove and how it works.
So.. know where I can find a manual? I've searched on the net and can't find one.