Damper modification for new SS liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dwatherton

Jan 10, 2010
NW South Carolina
Hi, a newbie here, about to purchase my first wood burning insert. Like many others, I've been researching many models, and learning a lot here on the posts, but can't find the answer to one particular question...I am planning on putting, probably a Jotul 450 into my existing masonry fireplace of my 1960s house, which has seen many, many normal fireplace fires. The old 6"x28" damper plate finally rusted out, leaving the damper frame intact. What I am left with, dead in the middle of the frame where the 6" liner would come down, is the small bracket for the old plate pivot on one side and a larger bracket for the old handle that pushed up and down on the other side. The horizontal level of the lintel up to this damper opening is only 5.5", so I'm pretty sure these brackets have to go to allow the new liner to correctly mate with the stove outlet? Would they just normally be sawed off?

Also, I'm a little foggy on the front clearance requirements of a raised hearth...From the front of the fireplace opening, my red brick hearth extends out 13" (and is 70" wide), but is raised off the hardwood floor 9.5" across the whole length. Would the Jotul specs of 18" still apply, irregardless of what vertical dimensions there might be? I realize the door swing has some impact here to consider, but I've not seen anywhere that raised hearths make any difference in clearances.

The old fireplace damper has to go. You said yours was all rusted and in pieces so it sounds like it's no good anyway. The mounts that are in the way also have to go. The damper frame is cast iron on most fireplaces and usually must be removed where the new liner goes by it. Behind the cast iron frame is usually brick and you well have to remove several to get the clearance you need to hook the liner to the stove. I used a grinder with a cut off wheel to get mine out. You're going to have to pry it, cut it, and force it apart on the bottom. Some cussing usually helps. There's not much room to work and with the creosote from old fires, it well be a nasty, dirty job. Once you do all this the fireplace can never be used as a fireplace again, but why would you want to? It's imposable to hook up the liner if you don't give it some room. A second benefit is the liner is not deformed in getting by the old damper, so it is much easier to clean when the time comes. Stuff the old smoke shelf with insulation and make a good tight block off plate. Also, you need to seal off the top with a plate and silicone to make it waterproof. Where are you in South Carolina? I'm near Chesnee, David

Status
Not open for further replies.