rideau Posted By rideau, Feb 16, 2013 at 8:23 PM

1. rideau

rideau
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    southern ontario
    I'm going to have to add a damper to my stovepipe in the off season. Have an adjustable ultrablack pipe, which I believe is 36 inches sliding inside 36 inches. Same pipe that I used for my Fireview, rear flue, now recommissioned for my Progress Hybrid top vent. With the top vent, I only have a little over 14 inches of pipe below the sliding joint. Have a probe thermometer mounted just below the joint. The pipe section with damper I believe is 4 inches in exerior (exposed) length. Where does it get installed in relation to stove/adjustable pipe?

2. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Double wall right? I have this pipe, an adjustable section and in a box, the damper section you describe. The short damper section I have is an appliance adapter. It is suppposed to be mounted to the stove. I don't know that they make a damper section that is intended to be placed anywhere else. Good idea on a damper for the PH.

3. rideau

rideau
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    southern ontario
    Thank you.

4. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    With my cast iron hearthstone flue collar, the appliance adapter/damper section from simpson did not fit. It was too loose and was unusable. I was able to use it with my BK which uses a steel collar. Before you spend the money, about 35$, on the damper section I would verify with other owners or with woodstock that an appliance adapter will work with the PH's cast collar.

5. skinanbones

skinanbones
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 10, 2011
    Loc:
    Ontario
    The ultrablack by ICC recomends that the damper be placed 18"-24" above the stove if i remeber right and in your case the easiest would be to put it at the top if you can reach it

6. Machria

Machria
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2012
    Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
  7. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  8. Machria

Machria
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2012
    Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
  9. KodiakII

KodiakII
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 17, 2011
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
  10. rideau

rideau
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2012
    Loc:
    southern ontario
    It comes from ICC in a short length (4 inches?) which I figure I'll install at the top of my adjustable, which will shorten the adjustable pipe by 4 inches....

11. Machria

Machria
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2012
    Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Both the top and bottom of the adjustable have about 3 or 4 inches of "un-adjustable" pipe that could easily accept a damper. I might do just that, so I can close it down when I'm not burning the stove...