1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Damper needs to be added to ultrablack adjustable pipe

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by rideau, Feb 16, 2013.

1. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    I'm going to have to add a damper to my stovepipe in the off season. Have an adjustable ultrablack pipe, which I believe is 36 inches sliding inside 36 inches. Same pipe that I used for my Fireview, rear flue, now recommissioned for my Progress Hybrid top vent. With the top vent, I only have a little over 14 inches of pipe below the sliding joint. Have a probe thermometer mounted just below the joint. The pipe section with damper I believe is 4 inches in exerior (exposed) length. Where does it get installed in relation to stove/adjustable pipe?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Double wall right? I have this pipe, an adjustable section and in a box, the damper section you describe. The short damper section I have is an appliance adapter. It is suppposed to be mounted to the stove. I don't know that they make a damper section that is intended to be placed anywhere else. Good idea on a damper for the PH.
  3. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Thank you.
  4. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    With my cast iron hearthstone flue collar, the appliance adapter/damper section from simpson did not fit. It was too loose and was unusable. I was able to use it with my BK which uses a steel collar. Before you spend the money, about 35$, on the damper section I would verify with other owners or with woodstock that an appliance adapter will work with the PH's cast collar.
  5. skinanbones

skinanbones Member

Loc:
    Ontario
    The ultrablack by ICC recomends that the damper be placed 18"-24" above the stove if i remeber right and in your case the easiest would be to put it at the top if you can reach it
  6. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  8. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
  9. KodiakII

KodiakII Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
  10. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    It comes from ICC in a short length (4 inches?) which I figure I'll install at the top of my adjustable, which will shorten the adjustable pipe by 4 inches....
  11. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Both the top and bottom of the adjustable have about 3 or 4 inches of "un-adjustable" pipe that could easily accept a damper. I might do just that, so I can close it down when I'm not burning the stove...