Damper on 30NC ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike in ct

Sep 18, 2008
nw ct
i am installing my new 30nc in my fireplace. I have installed 15ft of 6" - 316t insulated flexible chimney liner. stove is in place but I have not hooked it up yet. I am debating on whether or not to install a damper above stove . my gut was to install one,...... but after a little searching here, from what I have read,.... I am leaning against it in my situation. would like some feedback from other 30nc owners on this subject?

The liner is 15ft on my 30 and I have no need for a damper. So far, even with the hottest fire I can tame it by closing the air completely.

Probably not necessary. I have 16' straight up through the house from my 30 and no damper. Some that have rather tall chimneys in the 20-30' range use them. Unless I would be a real bugger to retro fit one I would try w/o before making the purchase.

thanks for getting back so quick. that was my biggest concern.....I've read about this stove going "nuclear" and was concerned closing the air control may not be enough to calm it down quickly.....then again...I think when that happens it has a lot to do with type of wood, size of splits...timing of loading, ect....which I am fairly experienced with, so I am not too concerned....if I had a 30 ft stack....maybe I would feel different.

that was my other thought too bob...easy enough to install at later date if I see the need

Status
Not open for further replies.