Damper on an EPA stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avanderheuel

Nov 27, 2010
Harrisville MI
Is it ok to use a damper on an EPA stove. I know I have a leak but cand find it right now so I was thinking of putting one in to get me through this winter.

Any thoughts>

Welcome to the forum avanderheuel.

Yes, you can use a damper on pretty much any stove but most do not need it. Putting a damper in might help but it does seem a better fix to find the leak and fix it.

You need something that will smoke, maybe incense and light it. Then go all around the stove to try to find the leak. You need the draft of the stove set full open and some flame to create a good draw as that will show the leak much easier. Good luck.

If you can toss a 300 pound stove, I'd really like to meet you. lol Then you could tackle ours to as it is just shy of 500 pounds.

I think your particular stove is a tough one to use. The Leyden, like the Oakwood, tends to run hot whether the bypass is closed or open. Could it be the "leak" is just all the secondary air that pours in? Have you had this trouble all along, or only recently?

I think a pipe damper on this kind of stove is a good idea lots of times. Once it gets cranking, the heat feeds the draft to the point where it seems excessive. Good luck!

@branchburner this is a new problem happening after I changed the ash pan gasket

Just replaced the ash pan gasket and its is still leaking from there on the left side as I just used the incents method to find it. So what seems to be happening is the pan is now "sucking"in as it should to seal the gasket......

Maybe your idea about adjusting latch (or hinges?) is correct, if the new gasket is correctly sized and installed.

If you can't find or fix the leak and end up going with the damper as a temporary solution, another option is to simply stop using the ashpan: fill it up and empty ashes from the front door instead. That will restrict the air flow from the ashpan area.

PS - Did you contact your dealer and/or Lopi tech support?

When i called the Mfg of my stove to ask if you could put one of those heat reclaimer s in the flue pipe he told me NO WAY dont put anything in the stove pipe. EPA stoves are designed to work with an unrestricted flue pipe. Not only that but i would be reducing the temp of the flue gas thereby reducing the draft and the performance of the stove. Bottom Line Dont do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.