Damper on thimble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmania

Nov 12, 2015
catskills, new york
So I bought a used stove from an older gentleman, and he gave me some black pipe. The only thing is the black pipe (about 1 foot long) has a damper valve sort of thing to minimize airflow to the chimney. Firstly I want to know if this damper is necessary for the stove (Englander 13, no cat.)...secondly i want to know if I can install this black on the horizontal part of blackpipe which goes into the thimble, since its a perfect size for me to maintain clearances from the wall. I could then, also, just get away with using a 2 foot blackpipe to this 1 foot piece, via the elbow which also came with the unit. The positioning of his thimble hole in the chimney allowed him to run this 1 foot piece (with damper) directly from the stove, vertically, into his thimble. I essentially have a taller thimble hole...so that's why I need to make these adjustments. Good idea?

In short, trying to save money by saving this little one foot piece...want to know if it is a good idea to have a damper on a small stretch of black pipe running horizontal into the wall.

I have a damper on my stove, but don't use it often. My wife uses it as an "emergency brake" on occasion, but otherwise, it only serves to making the chimney pipes a bit slower to be clean.

In all, if using it makes things fit right up, then I'd go for it and just keep it open unless you have good evidence to suggest you need to shut things down for something silly, like leaving the air open too long,,,,, loading on really hot coals in really cold temps,,,, etc.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.