Damper open it closed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Should I leave my basement open fireplace damper open or closed when not using? I'm thinking if its open, the heat/humidity that gets in will go up and out, letting the dehumidifier work less.

I have always left mine closed when not in use to keep conditioned air in. I feel like leaving it open is like leaving a window open.

Draft slows down considerably in the warmer season, it can reverse if its warmer outside than inside, do you have that fireplace smell in your basement? If you do, try closing the damper, leave a tag or something to remind you that its closed when fire season arrives

I'm thinking if its open, the heat/humidity that gets in will go up and out, letting the dehumidifier work less.

Even if it were so would that draft not pull in more hot and humid air from the outside?

Closed, especially if there is a chance of negative pressure in the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.