Damper Opening Insulation Recommendation Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

num1hitter

Feb 9, 2012
Reading, PA
I have been burning with an insert for a few years. I have a chimney liner with no insulation. I currently have sheet metal blocking the opening left around the liner in the damper. I am thinking that I am losing a lot of heat up the chimney. The question I have for you is: How did you insulate around the liner in the chimney? What type of insulation did you use? Would normal your typical nonfaced insulation hold up to the heat? Thanks for any input.

i used roxul thermal insulation recommended by a member here. it has been working great i used two batts to go around my liner were it passes throught the damper opening. its also pretty cheap at lowes i bought a package of batts for 36$. pretty cheap compared to how much youll lose. i didnt have any insulation or a block off plate i added the insulation and the house has been holding heat much better especially in the living room. i would recommend doing it

I was told you can use left over liner insulation. Does anyone have any comments regarding that?

I have 1/2" liner insulation good enough to wrap 25' of liner. I am going to have 10'+ left over. It was suggested that I cut it and roll it foil-side out and stuff it in the damper openings/gaps on each side of the liner.

My insert is getting installed next week.......

Thoughts?

I was thinking of using roxul since it specifically says on some of the insulation not to use when insulating fireplaces. I just wanted to hear some input before I bought it. Analogkid: I would think that if you have extra liner insulation left over, that would work perfectly. I did not have any insulation for my pipe.

On my install, we plugged up the space around the liner at the bottom. Then we poured pumice in from the top, which flowed all around the liner, and put a little cap of cement at the top. I sure hope that plug holds!

What did you use to plug around the liner at the bottom?

Insulation was jammed in, then some thin concrete was poured in from the top, maybe an inch thick or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.