damper or intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brokeburner

Dec 3, 2008
southern ohio
I burn a old stove when you hit about 500 600 degrees stove top thermometer do choke down the air first or the damper

Is this the first time you have used this stove? Have you had any problems and if this is a new house with an old stove be sure to have the whole system checked out before using it hard. You will have to experiment but I would shut the air supply down first. You need to find out how your stove behaves. Do a couple of overnight burns with the damper open to see how it does. Later if you need to get longer burns start experimenting with the damper. I suspect it has a damper because it has trouble getting long burns. Eventually you will probably find a position for the damper that you can always use. Sometimes people have dampers just so they can slow down a runaway or chimney fire. Having one does not mean you have to use it. So there are many options. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.