damper or no damper for dvl stove adapter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smmm

Aug 1, 2010
Ohio
I have a buck model 81 stove. It has a damper at the bottom of the stove. My question is, what are the pros or cons to putting a damper section in for my black dvl pipe that leads to the duraplus chimney? I need to buy the stove adapter piece and I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy one with a damper.

How tall is your chimney? Most new stoves are built and tested with chimneys around 15' in mind. Once you get up over 20' a good chimney can have it's days where you wish you had a damper. It won't hurt anything to have one just in case.

The buck stove comes with a draft control, sorta like a damper, on the bottom. That bugger controls most of the air that goes into the stove. The stove's design prevents the draft control from ever being totally shut down. Many folks, myself included, operate the stove for extended periods with this draft control at fully closed. This should tell you that more control is needed. If your install is per the manual and your wood is good then there will be times that you will benefit from being able to damper your stove even farther than the draft control allows. The best way to do this is with a flue damper.

I tried installing one but the cast iron hearthstones are not compatible with Simpson's damper equipped appliance adapter part.

The only negative is cleaning the pipe. I currently have teh good fortune of being able to run the brush from the roof right into my firebox for a good flue brushing. With a damper in the flue, this is not possible and some disassembly will be required to clean that last foot of flue if you so choose.

Thanks! I think I will go ahead and install one. It is a tee installation and I will have to take apart some of the dvl to clean anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.