Damper or No Damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
I'm replacing my woodstove with a Regency 3100 and need to install a new stove pipe. My old top loader had a damper that I never used. Do you guys have dampers - and do you use them?

Also, I need to install a Double Wall pipe to meet clearance requirements. My local shop carries EXCEL ($195 for the 6' telescoping section and then I'll have to buy another two feet of fixed pipe). Anybody else use this brand . . . or are they all basically the same?

Thanks for yuor help.

As to Q. #1, I have no stovepipe damper installed on either of my freestanders, nor do I feel a need for them. Others may feel differently about it. Dunno about EXCEL pipe, other than the fact that it's a well-known brand, so I'm of no help there, sorry. Rick

I had never heard of EXCEL, so I'm glad to know it's a well known.

Do you think it will pass town inspection without a damper?

http://www.icc-rsf.com/

I don't know of any jurisdiction that requires installation of a stovepipe damper, nor can I think of a reason for it to be required. But, I certainly don't know every jurisdiction, so that's a question more appropriately directed to whoever they are. Or maybe someone more knowledgable than I (and there are many) will chime in here. Rick

A stove pipe damper wasn't required for my free standing unit, but I installed one anyways into my single wall stove pipe. It just gives me piece of mind that I have that much more control over the airflow.

But again, that's just me.....many guys (like Rick.....well actually there aren't many guys out there like Rick ;-) ) that don't have them and do just fine. Its just a personal choice with these new stoves.

ICC-RSF is the only company I know of that offers 30 degree offsets in their double wall pipe (between the stove and the ceiling). Most other brands offer 45 degree offsets only.

aussieblake

I have a damper on mine. It's just another level of control. I don't even know if it's useful on the Mansfield. I figure it could help out in the event of a chimney fire. Other than that, it's just another adjustment to impress my friends with and make me feel like I'm doing something important.

I have a damper on mine. It's just another level of control.

As do I on mine. My chimney has, at times, given me some overdraft problems...I don't like em' so I put one in and can bring it to a halt if need be.

Other than that, it's just another adjustment to impress my friends with and make me feel like I'm doing something important.

Not only do they make you feel important...they make you look important...so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.