damper question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weezer4117

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2008
central In
i am going to install a damper inside of my metal chimney. the question is do i mount it close to the stove or farther up the chimney?

weezer4117 said:
i am going to install a damper inside of my metal chimney. the question is do i mount it close to the stove or farther up the chimney?

I think most are placed near the stove for convenience. I think mine is about 14 inches or so above the stove top.

Next question: Is your stove a new EPA model or an older one? Most new stoves don't recommend a damper unless there is an extreme overdraft. I have one in my pipe for the purpose of slowing down a down draft when the stove is not in use so that the family room doesn't smell of creosote. But I NEVER use it during normal operation.

pen

pen said:
weezer4117 said:

I think most are placed near the stove for convenience. I think mine is about 14 inches or so above the stove top.

Next question: Is your stove a new EPA model or an older one? Most new stoves don't recommend a damper unless there is an extreme overdraft. I have one in my pipe for the purpose of slowing down a down draft when the stove is not in use so that the family room doesn't smell of creosote. But I NEVER use it during normal operation.

pen
Agree. I didn't have a damper for my old VC, and didn't put one on the new Oslo piping either. Never had an excessive draft problem with my relatively short chimney. I can see the need for a damper only if there is a demonstrated overfiring problem that's related to excessive draft.

As for blocking the down draft smell in the offseason, a damper sounds like it would work as long as it seals well enough. I use a 6" thick foam rubber plug that fits tight in the pipe, and that I can put in through my cleanout door. Works great. But, I DO have to make sure I remember to take it out before I try to light 'er up!

the stove is very old with a 18' chimney. i have a problem maintaining the same temp or close to it so i thoght a damper would allow me to control the temp better. it seems like i go from 300 deg to 600 ALL the time. i would like to find a way to keep it in the middle with less monitoring. i burn several types of hard wood so im sure that plays in somewhere, but i shouldnt have to play with a 300 degree gap all the time.

Ours is 18-20" up from the stove top...double wall pipe take little finessing but you can do it.

ripe said:
weezer4117 said:
the stove is very old with a 18' chimney. i have a problem maintaining the same temp or close to it so i thoght a damper would allow me to control the temp better. it seems like i go from 300 deg to 600 ALL the time. i would like to find a way to keep it in the middle with less monitoring. i burn several types of hard wood so im sure that plays in somewhere, but i shouldnt have to play with a 300 degree gap all the time.
barometric damper effects automatic draft control

What happened to the post about "turbulation"?

That is one super-de-duper word :ahhh:

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.