Damper Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Regency R14 and was wondering in order to achieve a long hot burn, what is the proper setting for my damper, also if I leave the damper wide open it roars the fire therefore increasing the stove temp, isn't this also letting all the heat up the chimney as well. Can someone please tell me what is the best setting to achieve a long hot burn say of 400 degrees or better.

Welcome to the forum Hummer.

You are correct. Leave the draft full open and lots of heat goes right out the chimney. As soon as the wood gets charred good you should start dampering down. You could do this in steps. For example, after the wood is charred maybe turn it down half way for 10-15 minutes and then down to about 25% open. Your final may be more open or more closed and only you can determine that as each installation can be a bit different because there are many factors involved.

Also, 400 degree stove top is not a hot fire! 600-700 or thereabouts is a hot fire to most folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.