Damper removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigduce13

Nov 13, 2014
North carolina
new to the forum looking for advice

I want to clean my chimney and run the brush from the bottom up. Problem is the blade type damper is in the way. I don't want to destroy what we have and cannot see any way to remove the damper........

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Any suggestions or thoughts?

John

they usually dont come out you need a brush that is flexible enough to get past itor a soot eater or something like it

Damn was afraid of that......

I'm running the plastic/poly brush so maybe if I remove the damper handle I can get it squeezed past without ruining either one

Thank for the reply!

not if it is a stiff poly brush you will break something before you get it past

Arrrrgh

Your full of good news.

It's the Rutledge poly brush, seems pretty flexable, I'll give it a go and see if I can work it up past. If not back to the drawing board. I may be able to "oval" it slightly just to drop out one side pin. I only need about 1/16 of an inch play to get it free

After looking thin morning I was able to use a long handle screwdriver and gently pry a corner loose and wiggle out the plate! Run the brush up and down a few times and I'm back in business. Went on the roof to clean out the debris from the cap and noticed that I could just as easily remove the top and go top down on it. I didn't remember how it was on last night and since its 37 and drizzling I didnt want to be up there longer than I had to. I'll have to log that away in my head for next time.

Thanks again for the reply and advice gonna have a small cozy fire tonight just to check it out.

John

It will probably go through but when you turn on the drill I would be worried about the damper and the poles getting pretty banged up.
Well, my probe thermometer made it through okay... Just a little embarrassing admission.;em

Status
Not open for further replies.