Damper Talk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
I have a damper installed and pretty much use it full closed all the time. Of course they are designed so they can't fully shut of the gas flow. But I bought a Dura-black damper assembly recently to go with my new Dura-black stove pipe and discovered theirs have a large open slot in the center. Which means I would have less control over the draft. I think I'll swap a solid plate for that open one before I install. I think I now know why I heard about a dealer installing 2 in a pipe to get control over the draft. If he was using the same as he sold me then I can see where he would need 2.

I use my at about 1/2 closed on most fires during colder weather - full closed seems to either lead to some smouldering. Hard to test, but I think 1/2 closed does keep a little more heat in the stove. I don't use it much during the warmer weather, since the draft is already a little sluggish and I want to keep a hot fire in the box. Cheers!

Ok - here we go. Just did the final adjustment on the primary on a full load. Closing the damper 1/2 in 5 min. I'll close it full after 5 min and let you know what happens to the fire. Cheers!

Had nice secondary at 1/2 closed. Closed damper fully - within a minute, secondaries filled the box from the smoke build-up, and within about 4 min, fire smouldering - had to open the damper and primary to re-catch and then back back down. 1/2 closed is my sweet spot for holding heat with a good clean, hot burn. Cheers!

I have so much draft I can basically just leave the draft closed at all times regardless of where I'm at in the burn cycle. If I open it even slightly the draft will pull the flame something terrible. I have a much better expereince with my stove since adding a damper. Before damper windy days where all but impossible to regulate.

I have 6' of dbl wall than 10' class A, but a damper for me is probably unnessesary right? Or would it be better?

I'm just guessing most don't need a damper till the run is 25' or higher. Thats just a guess.
However its been pointed out to me that other factors effect draft besides chimney height. Location like being in town surrounded by other buildings, trees, out in the country, on a hill top ect. Not only do I have 41' from stove to cap I'm up high on a knoll and nothing but fields around me close.

Backwoods said:
I have 6' of dbl wall than 10' class A, but a damper for me is probably unnessesary right? Or would it be better?

Skip it. The Castine want's good draft.

I use my old Griswold on every burn. I have 45ft of lined chimney from the first floor stove to the chimney cap. If I don't use the damper the burn times are shortened and the stove does not throw out as much heat. I never get smoldering or smoke coming from the chimney unless it is at start up.

Of course they are designed so they can’t fully shut of the gas flow

I have never seen a solid damper that did not allow some air through it. good luck

I have never seen a solid damper that did not allow some air through it. good luck
I'll have to take a pic next time I clean. Only air that get by is where it doesn't fit tight inside the pipe.

yeah post a pic! I have only ever seen cast iron ones with holes. I would love to see a picture of your stove as well, they are really cool looking stoves-IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.