Damper too narrow to run 6 inch flex for Hearthstone Homestead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsiros

Nov 10, 2007
PA
Hello all... I will be buying a Hearthstone Homestead in about a week or so. I have been looking things over to get an idea about costs and materials (we will install into a fireplace by ourselves), and things look pretty straightforward- except for a four inch damper plate that we need to pass the six inch flex through. I'm always excited to break out the Porter Cable sawzall, but what is the best way to handle this? Also, any Homestead users out there? I'd like to hear your thoughts about the stove.

What does it have to do with the stove? Either cut the damper with a sawzall or ovalize the liner. I think ovalizing down to 4" might be a little much though, best bet is to cut it.

eye protection and a respirator, there is a lot of gunk behind the sloped damper. It find its way down on your face with every vibration. I use a Makita 4.5" grinder with a thin metal cutting wheel. Works for me a lot easier than any of the 6 sawzalls i own

The stove collar on the Homestead is oval as well, so you could just ovalize the liner the same size til it passes the fireplace damper. But then it may be more trouble when you sweep the liner trying to get the brush all the way down. Cutting it out may be best, but either will work.

I owned the stove a few years ago and thought it was a good little stove, just wasn't a long enough burner for me and I also had problems with the air intake lever sticking.

Status
Not open for further replies.