damper too small?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lewidan

Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Hi all, I am clearly new to most of this but hope you all will be able to help me find my way. I was recently givin a wood stove and in my prep to get ready to install it I noticed that my damper opening is only 5 inches and the opening on the back of the stove where the liner will attach is 7 inches. Is it OK to force a 7 inch liner through the 5 inch opeing? Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question and thanks for the help!

Lewidan are you sure it is 7 in on the flue collar that is a odd number
any way you can cut the damper out and if you still don't have enough
room you can ovelize the liner.

I had a stove from the mid 80's that was a 7" vent I also had a stove with a 5" vent there are increasers from 5 to 6 and 5 to 7 not common but still available might not do much for draft then there are still 6 to 7 adapters again not common I have this exact setup in the stove in my shop I don't talk about it much but I have 3 stoves hooked up here. the third stove is rarely used I start out a 5 to 6 adapter in the flue collar the a 6 to 7 in the run and a 7" connector into my 8/8 clay flue chimney. It can be done and code compliant

I must tell you the stove is a bear to start and draft really takes working to achieve not a real good setup if your stove is made in tiawan and manufacturer is scandia I would advise you to really think about what your are doing

Lest we not forget that some Woodstock Soapstone stoves have 7 inch flue collars, Gibraltar coal stoves had 7 inch flue collars, etc etc. There are some high quality units with that flue collar size, so lets not play the jump to conclusions game just yet.

What it sounds like the OP is asking is whether he can ovalize his 7" liner to fit through a 5" wide damper opening. In that case, I think you should be OK, there shouldn't be too large a reduction in draft. At least I believe its ok, that's a code question; Elk is that acceptable? I'm really not sure?

You can buy ovalized pieces of liner specifically for this purpose- Not sure which liner you are using, but you may have a heck of a time deforming the liner to fit through.

Just something to consider.

thanks for all the replies! Corie, that is exactly what I was asking but I am open to suggestions. I just want to do what is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.