Damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Now that I have everything installed, I noticed there is not a damper in the stove pipe. Is this something that is nessesary? Is it something I need to add? Thx

And I'm guessing the 2% of the time if ever a chimney fire...I'll keep it clean. Thx

I've got a 25' stack and I found that it pulls too hard once the stove is rockin.
I ended up putting in a key damper and it's really helped regulate the stove.

I don't see what the downside could be............

I burnt a BKK non-cat pre EPA stove for years with a key damper...when I put the new cat one in I just could not get myself to leave it out..a year later it's still there but I don't use it.
It just don't look right without it to me..lol.

I'm 41' from stove to cap. I installed a damper and use it everyday. Improved my experience with the stove when adding wood after a long burn.

I have a damper and haven't "needed" it yet. I sorta think of it as an insurance policy to a run away. Inexpensive, easy to use, insurance policy. Although do to BrowningBar, I am now experimenting using it some.

Flue damper is usually not needed . . . I think I've had two or three fires that made me a mite nervous . . . but was able to control and cool them with a blocked air control (thanks to some tin foil) and fans.

As someone else said, most stoves made lately do not ever need a stovepipe damper. None that I know of, actually, but I do not know all of them.

The only way to know whether you need one is to try your stove for a while. Not just one or two burns, but enough to get to know the stove and how it operates with your chimney/stovepipe. If you find that you do need a damper, after all, they are simple and easy to install after the fact. We have four stoves in our home; only one needs a stovepipe damper and it is a special stove designed to heat water. Our other stoves do not need nor do they have stovepipe dampers. If they did have them, I have never had occasion to have used them. So, it depends: use your stove a while and find out. That it really all one can tell you. Have fun.

From one Castine owner to another, I think that a stovepipe damper isn't needed. As Jake said up above, if need be (i.e a chimney fire) you can always block the secondary air intake in the back. It's in the bottom center -- a sort of round opening.

okay, thx. The stoves roars I guess with such a long chimney and the oak, when I opened the door there was a bit of movement inside the stove. Well tonight going to do the 2 out of 3 curing burns. Smoke and smell wasnt too bad.

Maybe I need a damper.A half or little more load will get to 500 real quick then i shut it down all the way. Gradually over the next half hour it will get to 750 with a real slow rolling flame.
I'd like to be able to load it up and get 10 hour burns like I was getting last month before I knew about overfiring(sorry, real new to this stuff).

I have a 6 inch flue that goes 45 degrees for about 4 feet then straight up for nearly 30 feet inside a brick chimney. Where do you install a damper on an insert?

I quite sure it goes on the stovepipe. Than there is a lever on it that controls the"tilt" of the damper, inside the pipe.

I discovered the hard way that not having a damper can be a nightmare in the right circumstances! We recently had a high wind experience where the wind got so strong it made the stove into a forge and turned the coal into a blazing white forge. The stove top was cherry red and it took a couple hours to cool enough for the glow to go away. Granted it was a Vogelzang however it was an epa re-burn stove and had we had a damper this would not have happened. Another side not only a quarter or less of the box was coals when this happened no full load no over burn due to ignorance or laziness just a straight up fluke. Its cheap insurance on newer secondary air stoves especially because if this happens you can't shut off the secondary air, you in essence get a super forge. This does and can happen to anyone!

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.