Damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

I got hammered on for the damper thing so just wanted to let you know Jotul recomends a damper on their site IF you need it and talked to PE this morning and they said the same thing, IF you need it they recomend putting one in as some of the stove installers do. Just saying what they are saying.

Certainly should be no problem.

Dont know why you got hammered, was it whiskey?

Shouldnt call stove companies when you have been drinking.

Just joking.....

But anyhow I dont know why people are scared of dampers as long as you keep the heat up in these smoke burners they eat smoke and reduce creosote much more than the old 30% efficient stoves. These newer stoves are 76% efficient or more.

If you get excessive creosote build up with these stoves then its operator error.

If the damper is partially closed and the stove top temps are 500 or more and you visually see secondary flames up top then your burning wood gases.

Because I am an idiot, BG thought the damper was compensating for another problem, turns out he was more than likely right, see my new post, might be time to go and hide for a while.

I like my damper. Since the EPA stoves have unregulated air coming at the fire a taller chimney will probably benefit from using one.

I've never seen such good performance since installing a damper. In fact on most days its completely closed and I can still rip open the door without pulling smoke in the room. I only wish the damper I installed would have fit the pipe tighter.

I also installed an inline damper because my 40' chimney was drafting all to well. Now I can keep the Encore in the zone.

I put one in a few years back. If the temp is going down to around 25-28 I leave it wide open. Anything cooler I close it, enough though it's not 100% fit. I do notice longer burn times and lot and lot of coals. I have about 25-27 ft of flue, all inside except the last 2 ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.