DampRid to prevent off season rust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2007
CT
Anyone ever use DampRid to prevent off season rust?
Is it a desiccant?

I may spray the inside with WD-40, seal the chimney pipe with a walmart bag, and throw a package of DampRid into the hopper....

Thanks.
mm

Keep the little packets of silica gel that comes with shipped items to keep moisture out. You can put them inside the burn pot. The WD-40 is highly flammable, I would not use it.

I use cooking spray.

usually in june, once I know that there is no chance that I will need the stove until the fall, I do a thorough cleaning and spray all the inside surfaces with oil.

I don't oil the hopper, but I do make sure that it is empty (wood pellets could pull in some humidity and trap it against the steel)

I think the Damp Rid works just like silica gel, although I don't know if it uses silica gel.

I use 2 of these in my stove. Put them in after doing the complete end-of-burning-season cleaning back in May. I checked today, and I see NO signs of any rust (and it has been REALLY humid here for the past month or so.

www.amazon.com/Pelican-1500D-Peli-Desiccant-Silica/dp/B0018O035O

I am using a product called damp check. It's a little tub of what looks like tiny styrofoam balls. As it absorbs moisture it turns into a solid hard mass. It's a one time use product the wife found at a dollar store. It appears to be working but I'd go with what Mac suggested.
Mike -

Damp Rid is a mixture of metal chlorides, in other words salts. It will absorb moisture however I would want it in a container and not in contact with the stoves metal surfaces.

WD40 applied and then wiped down twice will leave a very thin protective coating on the metal surfaces of the stove. You might want to visit WD40.com and find out how it came about.

While the vapors and the liquid is very flammable the residue left on the surface is minimal.

Almost any oil can be used provided it is wiped down leaving a very thin protective coat.

The only thing I do is block the OAK and the Vent, I run a dehumidifier so I don't worry about the humidity. If I wasn't run the dehumidifier I'd be using WD40 or Hoppe's gun oil which reminds me to take a good look down the barrels of my boom sticks.

damp rid is amazing stuff ! We use it in the basement in the summer, it sure soaks up the water.
We also do wd-40 / damp rid solution in the pellet stove.
Reading the wd40 website, it is supposed to be only flammable when wet.
We clean stove and vent completely , plug the vent with aluminum foil cover, doubled ziplock freezer bags,
then duct taped throughly. spray wd40 all in places inside of stove, waited one day, put damp rid box in.

Status
Not open for further replies.