Dancing flames - Jotul 550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bboulier

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2010
NE Virginia
Having spent the last couple of weekends moving a woodpile, splitting wood, clearing space for a large maple tree to be cut down, and temperatures below 30 degrees, it was time to start a fire. Installed the Jotul 550 last year. Last year's wood was OK, but extra seasoning has paid off. Much easier to start, no smoke on the glass and beautiful secondary burn - mesmerizing. Heats the main and upper story of a 1957 split level. Great stove!

It does put on a good show! My only complaint is it needs to sit higher so you can see the action nearer the top inside... I still find myself laying on the floor infront of it to watch it lol. We just put it in this summer so this is the first season.

Last year was our first year with the 550 and our firewood was not fully dry. This year the wood is ready and fires are terrific. Before this stove, we had an insert (heatilator?) from the 1960s with a blower that was about 8-10" higher than the 550's blower. That was a better height - not necessarily for viewing, but the blower directly hit one's lower back. Very nice! It also did a better job with less than dry firewood. But, those are the only things I miss about the old stove. The 550 is much more efficient.

bboulier said:
Last year was our first year with the 550 and our firewood was not fully dry. This year the wood is ready and fires are terrific. Before this stove, we had an insert (heatilator?) from the 1960s with a blower that was about 8-10" higher than the 550's blower. That was a better height - not necessarily for viewing, but the blower directly hit one's lower back. Very nice! It also did a better job with less than dry firewood. But, those are the only things I miss about the old stove. The 550 is much more efficient.

How about throw that efficient 550 into your signature to help compare on other post.
Cheers

The 550 is a beast that likes to be ridden hard. Good stove all the time, but can step it up when you need it.

My 550 is a different animal with dry wood. Almost makes me look like I know what I'm doing!

It's amazing what these stoves will do when you go from burning "good" wood in the first year to "great" wood in subsequent years . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.