danfoss diverter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trazer

Sep 13, 2010
cadillac michigan
Could I use a danfoss valve for a diverter on return line to storage tank to whats say if water is still useable temp to return it to recirculate and not go into bottom of storage?

Best would be to check their data sheet. Else study the configuration and you should be able to see if it will work, you may need to drill a 'weep hole' to let some flow from one port to anonther so the wax heat motor can 'see' the temperature. [Edit: Wait a minute, I'm sure I've seen them in diverting configuration in their application sheets, so sure Danfoss ESBE will divert.]

There are Termovars that will do the trick.

Also depending on your pump and head, a Taco 5000 is good for 5 gpm or more with a 75 watt circ, $100, and it's adjustable.

I have a pl-36 pushing from storage to house load and back. 500' total. Plenty of pump and i already have the danfoss thats why i'm considering that. I have alot of return water that is of useful temp. But if it goes into bottom of storage....... not useful anymore.

trazer said:
I have a pl-36 pushing from storage to house load and back. 500' total. Plenty of pump and i already have the danfoss thats why i'm considering that. I have alot of return water that is of useful temp. But if it goes into bottom of storage....... not useful anymore.

[See above, Danfoss should work.]

Check the Tarm reference circuits online, they use diverters in most of them and they should give you an idea of how to proceed.

We sell a Termovar mixing valve (K4440) and a Termovar diverter valve (K6440). They look nearly identical, but are not interchangeable. In other words, the mixing valve cannot be used as a diverter valve. I would expect the same for Danfos, but am not sure.

ah> Thanks for looking into that and posting it for me. Still trying to wrap my head around the (mixing valve means 2 in 1 out} and diverter meaning 1 in and 2 out. Trying to figure it in my head if this danfoss will work to do what i want since i already have it. And they are not cheap.

trazer said:
ah> Thanks for looking into that and posting it for me. Still trying to wrap my head around the (mixing valve means 2 in 1 out} and diverter meaning 1 in and 2 out. Trying to figure it in my head if this danfoss will work to do what i want since i already have it. And they are not cheap.

With valves that can be used in both mixing and diverting configurations, the valve doesn't know which way the water is flowing. In the case of the Danfoss ESBE, if the valve is hot the 1-2 path opens and the 1-3 path closes, and if the valve is cold the 1-2 path closes and the 1-3 path opens, and it doesn't matter which way the water is flowing. The only thing that matters is that all the water flows through the 1 port.

When mixing, all the water leaves through the 1 port. If the valve is cold the 1-3 path is open, so the 3 port is where the hot water inlet is. And vice versa with 1-2 path open if the valve is hot.

When diverting, all the water enters through the 1 port. If the valve is cold the 1-3 path is open, so the 3 port is where the cold water outlet towards storage is. If the valve is hot, the 1-2 path is open, so the 2 port is where the hot water outlet back to the load is.

this valve is not marked with numbers, rather Square=1 port. circle=port 3 and triangle=port 2. Your findings are correct except there is always flow through ports 1 and 2 in either direction from what i've tested. Meaning i have one here on the bench and can blow through in either direction. So my thought was to plum this thing in on return line just as you would for boiler protection meaning. Port 2 triangle= load return. port 1 square= to circ pump to load. And port 3 circle= hot side of storage. Oh I didn't mention i have a seperate loop to storage tank then to load. So I would put this valve in between flow and return with A T on the return (port 2=triangle). What do ya think?

after looking closer and more thinking...............I think it can be installed either way. The way I described or the way you have described EW. It would be just a matter of what stat you had in it.

Ew you are a genius. After more close inspection and head scratchin........... I do believe you are correct sir. If plumbed the way i was thinkin I would not be able to take full advantage of higher temps! Now I will just plumb in reverse, run a low stat like 130 and anything above that i can use and recirculate. This is what I was looking for. Thank You for all your help. This site is an abundance of knowledge! Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.