danfoss junk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cvanhat

Jul 3, 2008
upstate ny
i let my fire go out yesterday. ii started it again last night and this morning i have 190 degree boiler and 100 degree storage. i am not getting any flow to storage. i plumbed the stoage to go staright through the "t" and the boiler loop into the branch of the "t". it does not appear that the danfoss is opening. how can i check this?? i do not hear any whistling or any other noise like some oter posts have mentioned. do i have a junk thermostat?? it appears that it only goes together one way, can someone post a diagram or picture?? thanks

Do you have a balancing valve in your bypass loop? You should try closing it a touch to "force" more hot water to storage if you have it. At least that is my understanding of the balancing valve. Close it off as much as possible while still maintaining proper return temps.

Maybe it has junk stuck in it. It might be worth taking apart and cleaning if you can easily isolate it.

As I have mentioned in other posts and confirmed for myself last night, my Danfoss valve, though installed according to the diagram on the valve itself, is in backwards. I dug out the installation sheet for the valve - I will try to post a pic later - and it indeed shows two installation methods. The first follows the diagram on the valve label. The second, for "large volume" installations, shows the valve in backwards from the diagram on the valve label. I think what is happening is that the thermostat being installed on the return side never sees a temp high enough to allow the valve to open. In my case, the valve only opens once the piping and housing heats it enough to allow opening. A balancing valve in the bypass pipe feeding the valve is a must according to either method.

I was able to bypass the valve and got it to operate normally by backfeeding hot water from the bypass - essentially reversing the flow through the valve back to the boiler.

I am going to call Danfoss this morning to see if I can just rotate the guts 180* to reverse the valve. I don't feel like ripping apart the piping again.

Medman, that is along the lines of what i was thinking. this valve simply will not open if colder water is against it. when i got my danfoss the thermostat was not even in the housing, it was just in a plastic bag in the box. can someone put a pic up with which way the termostat is supposed to be installed inside of the cast housing. mine also has a big spring and a brass piece . i have a balancing valve, but that will not do anything to force water through the danoss thermostat. the heated water will not go to stoage because the danfoss is closed. thanks all

Pics in "Danfoss Making Noise" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.