Dang Briggs & Stratton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
I thought I should mow Sunday afternoon, so I pushed the econo-MTD out of the corner where I parked it last fall. I changed the oil, set the choke, and started cranking. The engine turned over about two and a half times, fired up, and never missed a beat, crappy gas and all.
Today, I got my splitter out for the first time since November. Again, I changed the oil, filled up the gas, pushed the primer three times, and it started on the second pull. The small engine gods have smiled on me this week.
Tomorrow, I'll get the weed whacker out....

With today's gas and all the precipitants that are in it I'd say you must be living right to have both start after winter and no problems.

I usually let the splitter run out before I put it away. Sometimes the float sticks. It doesn't fill up the crankcase, but it runs out thru the primer and onto the floor. No ideas on the mower. Good luck, I guess.
As for the weed whacker, this will be it's fifteenth year. I've never, ever had a problem with it. Fresh gas, new plug once in a while, clean the air filter. I'm feeling lucky.

nice post. my mtd splitter is the same way.

This year even the mower started (same fuel as last year-not changed) on the second pull after its long winter sleep.

I have a close friend that maintains all the equipment for a large contstruction co (they have hundreds if not thousands of stuff the runs on 4 cycle engines) and he said the ABSOLUTE KEY to small engine life is to change the engine oil often. I try to change the mower and the splitter each year. He had me buy a little hand pump for outboard lower units that makes sucking the oil out of a small engine a piece of cake. No turning over just pump away.

kinda like this one...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0019M5F4Y/karekapt-20/

I store the engines with fuel topped off with a mix of seafoam. I run them every 2 - 3 months. The key to long engine life is oil and filters. To prevent varnish build up I change the oil at the end of the season.

People all just think that gas goes bad, it really doesn't for a long long time. I expect every small engine to run just great after sitting all winter. I do my part by performing maintenance and making sure that it was running well when put away in the fall.

It takes years for a carb to varnish up and you will be able to smell that bad gas.

I have a 22hp v twin cutting 2 ackers of nice stand of grass change out the plugs and it running strong!

xman23 said:
I store the engines with fuel topped off with a mix of seafoam. I run them every 2 - 3 months. The key to long engine life is oil and filters. To prevent varnish build up I change the oil at the end of the season.

same here. fill everything with it.
I also use sta-bil marine gas treatment.
I have about 10 gallons of it left from last years fall fill-up. (just in case for the generator)

I run my ope dry before putting it away for the winter. In the spring I'll check it over, top off or change the oil, fill er up and go. My push mower starts on the first or second pull every time, though it was plagued with a sticky valve last summer...some carb cleaner and a hevay dose of seafoam in thee and it freed itself up with a loud BANG! No more problems.

Highbeam said:
People all just think that gas goes bad, it really doesn't for a long long time. I expect every small engine to run just great after sitting all winter.

Bingo - I have never drained a small engines carb or gas tank for storage. I have some equipment that will sit for months of no starts (snow plow jeep, lawn mowers, etc.) never had a problem.

Am I the only one who runs the engine to warm it up first before changing the oil?

Backwoods Savage said:
Am I the only one who runs the engine to warm it up first before changing the oil?

NO, was just thinking that going to change mine tonight. Little quicker hot.

smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

And ... any poo that had precipitated is stirred back in, so it'll go down the drain. M'self, I never drain oil cold.

CTYank said:
smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

And ... any poo that had precipitated is stirred back in, so it'll go down the drain. M'self, I never drain oil cold.

Well I miss the container like an idiot! Good thing I have a little extra saw dust lying around. My lawn is primed to explode, so need to get everting I can out of this little jd.

Backwoods Savage said:

Nope. I always do it hot. Drains faster and better.

Highbeam said:
People all just think that gas goes bad, it really doesn't for a long long time. I expect every small engine to run just great after sitting all winter. I do my part by performing maintenance and making sure that it was running well when put away in the fall.

It takes years for a carb to varnish up and you will be able to smell that bad gas.
I'd love for you to post that over at arboristsite and see what the responses will be. You'll guarantee to start a thread 5 pgs long and no one will agree with you.
BTW its pretty common for things to not run right after winter and be attributed to plugged jets with precipitants from the pump gas fuel. Seen it myself. Keepeing a full tank will help. If it evaporates dry then your sure to have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.