Dang it's cold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Craig . . . nice change . . . and is it just me or are the characters standing around the fire really sporting new hair-dos?

firefighterjake said:
Craig . . . nice change . . . and is it just me or are the characters standing around the fire really sporting new hair-dos?

Looks like next week your area could have another storm dropping 1 - 3 feet of snow, time will tell.

zap

zapny said:
firefighterjake said:

Looks like next week your area could have another storm dropping 1 - 3 feet of snow, time will tell.

zap

I'm ready for it . . . spent a good portion of yesterday raking the snow off the front and back roof of the house, most of it on the woodshed and on my "summer" and "winter" sheds . . . of course I also beat down a path to the propane tank, shoveled off the front porch and a bit that spilled on to my covered back porch and plowed the driveway on Friday night.

My Mom said it was -15* this morning up in Van Buren, ME. Now that is fairly warm for there, but it's the coldest it's been this year (been a really weird year all over).

He we had -20* temps for a ~week and then it snowed and got hot. It's 34* right now!

This is from last winter, and no, not a photochop.

Attachments

• P1269534awtmk.jpg
    P1269534awtmk.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 525
Looks like the tunes have their Russian fur hats on. Burrrrrr

Whoa, that's cold. Did they say where in Northern Maine that was?

According to USA Today the coldest temp ever recorded in Maine was 48 below on January 19, 1925 in Van Buren.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wcstates.htm

If I'm reading that thermometer correctly it says 58 below Fahrenheit, so it's either a photoshopped pic or from somewhere else.

-19 F when I left the house this morning . . . my Honda Accord decided it didn't want to leave the garage. Ended up taking the wife's Subaru.

-50 degrees F . . . I remember that . . . set a record I believe . . . I was thinking it was somewhere in northwestern Maine . . . but could be wrong.

I guess I'm lucky living on this over-crowded sand bar with all that Atlantic water near me. It only hit -1 this morning; with water temps in the lower 30's :)

d

Reggie Dunlap said:
According to USA Today the coldest temp ever recorded in Maine was 48 below on January 19, 1925 in Van Buren.

If I'm reading that thermometer correctly it says 58 below Fahrenheit, so it's either a photoshopped pic or from somewhere else.
Source: U.S. National Climatic Data Center (Last updated August 2006) 4 years old

We were at - 14 this morning but the "official" temp was - 3. The recorded temps are usally at airports and at tv stations, temps can vary greatly from "official" temps.

Reggie Dunlap said:

Did you happen to notice that Nate lives in Alaska?

Not sure that is an Alaskan picture. The photographer is from Maine. Maybe he took it up in Quebec?

Sounds like a good amount of ice may be coming this way for many of us.

Not that I want to lose power but I'm glad that we'll have a powerful heat source cookin' if we do. Stay safe kiddies.

same here ice coming. that sux. shoveling ice sux. bring on more snow.

Indeed. Ice storms are wreaking havoc right now in MO. Stock up now and then stay off the roads until this passes.

On Jan 21st this year, we beat a 1954 record for that day with a temp of -42.7 °C. Now that is a new record for that day but we've had colder on other days. Jan 17th, 1982 it dropped to -45 °C and on Feb 1st, 1996 it was -45.5 °C. Makes -29 °C forecast for tonight seem mild. None the less, I let the fire die down to a few coals this afternoon so that I can remove same ashes and get more heat from the stove. House just now getting back up to temp. Tomorrow night it's forecast to go down to -30 °C.

If I’m reading that thermometer correctly it says 58 below Fahrenheit, so it’s either a photoshopped pic or from somewhere else.

I think thats -48 and new records were broken last year in Maine -60 I believe

Looks to me like the thermometer says 58 below and it says NorthernMainePhotos.com on the picture so I assumed it was supposedly from Maine. But looking on Google doesn't show any Maine temps colder than 48 below so it appears to be photoshopped.

Didn't realize he was from Alaska. I believe the coldest recorded temp in the northeast is 52 below in Old Forge NY in the late 1970's.

Coldest place I ever been (worked) Alpina Michigan It was uaually around -30 to -40* f in the mornings when we went to work. We were remodeling the largest cement plant in the world. (1989 or so)

Status
Not open for further replies.