Dang tree fell on my ashaus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
We have had some ice and wind storms this year in western washington. I went to visit my 15 acre woodlot and found that I had not lost any significant trees except one maple tree. The dang tree fell on my ashaus. The roof is only about 4x4' and of all the area in the woodlot the stupid tree had to fall right onto the middle of the only building.

As punishment I removed his friends. They were each about 18" at the butt and no rot. Should make some good firewood. The freshly ground chain on my 290 just walked through the trunks.

The maples were just about to leaf out and the pollen was falling off in big white clouds. Spring is almost here guys.

Attachments

• IMAG0296.jpg
    IMAG0296.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 423
  • IMAG0297.jpg
    IMAG0297.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 439
  • IMAG0298.jpg
    IMAG0298.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 449
Oh, my! Hope the roof is not too hard to fix--at least it didn't seem to damage the vent stack. Nice outhouse.

...Ashaus??

I'm a bit german so we named that building the ashaus, since there are often asses being exposed in there. ass-house.

What a terrible way to die! Smashed while on the throne.

Highbeam said:
I'm a bit german so we named that building the ashaus, since there are often asses being exposed in there. ass-house.

What a terrible way to die! Smashed while on the throne.

Elvis. :ahhh:

Either that tree came down in slow motion or that little structure is pretty darned stout. It may not even need a repair...leave the "battle scar". :lol:

It was built stout, I can't help it as I'm an engineer, but there was damage. The roof sheeting was destroyed and water has entered. What I will need to do is strip the sheeting, roofing, and fascia board. Then replace with new. I am not certain that the structure is plumb anymore. It may be knocked over a little. A leaning ashaus. It must have come down pretty slowly though since the tree is very large and with speed would have certainly smashed a wooden structure.

I felt much better after his friends were all on the ground. Each landed with a satisfying thud.

Highbeam said:
...Each landed with a satisfying thud.

I understand. :coolsmirk:

So then you are saying it isn't built like a brick ashaus.

Highbeam said:
...I felt much better after his friends were all on the ground. ...
So after Halloween, where to tie the block and tackle to return the ashaus to vertical?

Only thing it is missing is the quarter moon cutout.

My old boss told us her dad has a cabin in Maine with an outhouse. In the winter he leaves the toilet seat on a hook next to the wood stove in the living room. He carries the hot seat out when needed. Talk about a conversation piece.

I was hoping that "ashaus" was a giant meat smoker building... nope.

;-)

Attachments

• IMAGE_19.jpeg
    IMAGE_19.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 277
No moon cutout. The womenfolk vetoed it, something about privacy. I proposed putting the moon cutout at seat level.

Highbeam said:
No moon cutout. The womenfolk vetoed it, something about privacy. I proposed putting the moon cutout at seat level.

I guess one "moon" in the outhouse is enough...

Highbeam said:
We have had some ice and wind storms this year in western washington. I went to visit my 15 acre woodlot and found that I had not lost any significant trees except one maple tree. The dang tree fell on my ashaus. The roof is only about 4x4' and of all the area in the woodlot the stupid tree had to fall right onto the middle of the only building.

As punishment I removed his friends. They were each about 18" at the butt and no rot. Should make some good firewood. The freshly ground chain on my 290 just walked through the trunks.

The maples were just about to leaf out and the pollen was falling off in big white clouds. Spring is almost here guys.

reminded me of my daughter, she is diabetic, had a seizure while driving went off the road into a empty 100 acre field
empty except for the one tree in the middle she hit!!!!!!!!!!

Highbeam said:
It was built stout, I can't help it as I'm an engineer, but there was damage. The roof sheeting was destroyed and water has entered. What I will need to do is strip the sheeting, roofing, and fascia board. Then replace with new. I am not certain that the structure is plumb anymore. It may be knocked over a little. A leaning ashaus. It must have come down pretty slowly though since the tree is very large and with speed would have certainly smashed a wooden structure.

I felt much better after his friends were all on the ground. Each landed with a satisfying thud.

Part German and an engineer . . . double whammy . . . that explains the build quality. My father in law was German and an engineer . . . everything he built was built to last.

Highbeam said:

Of course it's plumb. This is outdoor plumbing after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.