Dang, Wouldn't You Know It!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
:mad: Raining .... again can't do anything outside so I cleaned out the Buck 80 to the point it looks like its right out of the box. Now they (exalted weather people) say after the rain passes record cold will set in for a couple of days, even some frost! I've already taken the wood I had left on the porch rack all the way back down the hill to the rest of my stacks:confused: .

Can someone please hit the reverse switch so I don't have to bring up some wood and clean the 80 again!:p

Reactions: ScotO
Still burning here <>
Trade your weather for mine the rest of this month ;)

Weeks forecast is in the 50s daytime.
30s at night.
10° below the norm.

:mad: Raining .... again can't do anything outside so I cleaned out the Buck 80 to the point it looks like its right out of the box. Now they (exalted weather people) say after the rain passes record cold will set in for a couple of days, even some frost! I've already taken the wood I had left on the porch rack all the way back down the hill to the rest of my stacks:confused: .

Can someone please hit the reverse switch so I don't have to bring up some wood and clean the 80 again!:p
Send that rain east, still dry up here. Big grass fire 20 miles south of us, fire departments from this area heading down with what they called on the scanner, brush trucks.

They just called in another fire department that was on standby.

Attachments

• brush-truck-1.jpg
    brush-truck-1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 125
Ralphie, over here in western ky. I was going to clean up the stove, dust the house and retire the woodburning tomorrow for the season. Still plan on doing it, I guess I will run the propane if need be. I think it is time to hang it up for this year, been a long ride pretty steady burning from first of Nov. thru April. High 60 and low 40 this weekend here, not too bad.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Rained here all day today, supposed to rain tomorrow and a low of 36 and 34f Monday and Tuesday night. Had some nice weather last week but had some other things I had to take care of and diden't get much wood cut. Plus fighting black flies.

High 60 and low 40 this weekend here, not too bad.
Not bad for workin' on the stacks, but those are gonna be fire-up temps for us over the weekend! :oops:
Still have wood on the porch. ==c

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
I keep postin' up on here from time to time that I had a neighbor years ago that heated with wood, he was retired, anyway, I'll never forget the day he said "insert reasonably long tirade of profanity here", had to make fire in JUNE!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
We never figure the heating season over until Memorial Day here. We figured on this cold spell too but was hoping it would not get cold enough for a freeze.

Thought about it too, Ralphie, but based on past years I don't bother until the end of May.
We're usually done burning mid-May, but I've had fire the 1st week of June too.
I've needed a quick warm-up fire the last couple mornings, and have had one going most of the day today.
Freezing and down to mid 20's until Sunday night, so I brought more wood in.
Burn on.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yep, got chilly here to ,so I make fire ugg :)

No fire for me Ralphie but the natural gas boiler was running this morning. I cleaned the retired (tired) stove and the chimney in preparation of the new Buck going in. I had to spend a lot of time on the chimney cap getting it cleaned and there is no way I will fire the old one back up. Almost nothing in the liner but a lot on the cap where it hits the outside air.

No fire for me Ralphie but the natural gas boiler was running this morning. I cleaned the retired (tired) stove and the chimney in preparation of the new Buck going in. I had to spend a lot of time on the chimney cap getting it cleaned and there is no way I will fire the old one back up. Almost nothing in the liner but a lot on the cap where it hits the outside air.
I'm going to try soaking the cap of my chimney in kerosene for a week or so this summer. It's not too bad, but I want it nice and shiny again......like it was when it was new....==c

Reactions: Dave A.
Reactions: ScotO
I'm going to try soaking the cap of my chimney in kerosene for a week or so this summer. It's not too bad, but I want it nice and shiny again......like it was when it was new....==c

Maybe Scott has a bit too much time on his hands?

Then, the first couple fires and it'll be all unshiny again. :mad:
Kinda' like trying to keep the tailpipe on the car clean. Doesn't end well.:p

So...I'm curious. Sounds like many people have chimney caps that get clogged. Both of my inserts don't have a cap of the flue, but we have something like this on top:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203721...ads-_-pla-_-203721429&ci_gpa=pla#.UY7Uq8oTRc8

I don't see any darkening on the underside at all. I understand that many set ups are just flue pipe coming out of a roof and require a cap, but otherwise what is the advantage/disadvantages of each? Definitely see some caps on chimneys as opposed to the spark arrestor type cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.