Dangerous things you should let your kid do

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to belong to a camping club part of the NCHA back them then it turned into FCRV national organization. Some people in the club would let their small kids play in the fire. They never got hurt. He said a good way to learn. As he always wanted to do it when he was kid.

He never said if the peed the bed from playing in fire. LoL

I encouraged my son to explore everything. Tried to teach him to be safe but that he needed to learn. He is doing the same with my grandson. How irresponsible of us ;)
Trent cutting.jpg Trent Fiskers.JPG

My Dad taught me most power and hand tools as soon as I could hold them. I taught myself fire. Tractors and guns came from my best friend's father. Kids are taught fear nowadays.

Reactions: tfdchief
"Kids are taught fear nowadays". FF, that is so true. It is scary. They have no survival skills at all. I am proud knowing my Son and Grandson are not amoung them.

Reactions: osagebow
While I was in my 30s and not a kid anymore one of my best learning experiences was tearing down the blown small block Chevy from my boat. I finally got to see all the stuff I had heard and read about all my life....and I didn't have to worry about putting it back together !

While I was in my 30s and not a kid anymore one of my best learning experiences was tearing down the blown small block Chevy from my boat. I finally got to see all the stuff I had heard and read about all my life....and I didn't have to worry about putting it back together !

When I was around 16 , I was over at a friends house and his brother came in and said hey I talked Uncle Joe into letting me to swap engines. Uncle Joe had one of the high performance 350 Chevy with the double hump heads on it. We did an all nighter tearing that engine out. I remember the sun coming up and we were still working on stuff. But was heck of a memory.

Depends on the kid, how he's been taught, and his/her learning curve. I try to challenge mine AMAP.

I come from a family of climbers, but I am the worst out of the 6 brothers. 2 of my brothers are high steel / bridge painters. I only lasted half a day up there. My older son (11) has the gift, however, and is allowed with me on the roof when cleaning the liner/ gutters, and as far up any tree he wishes. A 7 year old girl family friend puts him to shame, however.

My younger son (8) climbs like me - 3 toed sloth speed.:) He is responsible with a knife, however, and has earned the same level of trust as his older brother in that regard.

Reactions: tfdchief
the day they started putting rubber padding under monkey bars in play grounds over here in OZ I knew that was the beginning of the end.....

Gravel is a swift teacher.<>

No two are exactly alike in abilities. Our twin girls are night and day in looks as well as abilities. They think differently too - had pre-tests for the EQAO testing in grade 3. Categorize "objects" -- one categorized by shape, the other by color (line vs solid objects). One's left handed, the other right.

the day they started putting rubber padding under monkey bars in play grounds over here in OZ I knew that was the beginning of the end.....
I don't know if Australia is as litigious as the US, but that is the biggest push for padding in playgrounds. Canada has followed that practice as well.

Kind of like this obsession with bacteria. How will the kids ever develop a healthy immune system if they are squeaky clean all the time. I tell the wife, Let them play in the dirt. Thats what kids do.

My Great Aunt had a saying "You'll eat a peck of dirt before you die". Mine played in the dirt and sand lots - still have a head count of 6! They have found that the anti-bacterials are actually killing off the helpful bacteria too. And don't recommend high use unless a job requirement (ie nursing). The immune system has to have minor challenges to stay strong...

I don't know if Australia is as litigious as the US, but that is the biggest push for padding in playgrounds. Canada has followed that practice as well.

no we are not, but probably heading that way! Very sad.

My Great Aunt had a saying "You'll eat a peck of dirt before you die". Mine played in the dirt and sand lots - still have a head count of 6! They have found that the anti-bacterials are actually killing off the helpful bacteria too. And don't recommend high use unless a job requirement (ie nursing). The immune system has to have minor challenges to stay strong...

I am with you on this one. we survived long before hand sanitiser ..

My scoutmaster said it was a bushel of dirt - probably because he was cooking at the time.

Yeah, I'm with the majority here. I try to let my little girl take risks & learn from mistakes when the consequences are not huge. She is a rambunctious spirit since birth, but already she has started to recognize SOME dangers instead of barreling in, over or threw head first.
Haven't handed over the keys or pocketknives just yet though. Maybe after she turns 2 ;)
We are a dirt-friendly household here. You won't find antibacterial anything outside of the FirstAid kit. She's well on her way to that Peck of dirt, and probably a bushel of snow...

Some things I'm very protective about though. She has no contact with any harsh chemicals, serious junk food or mature themed media. Gotta give her Some basis to claim neglect when she reaches her teens :)

Status
Not open for further replies.